• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22X for first match?

godofthunder

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2013
Nebraska
www.rustynutsdesigns.com
I'm new to precision rifle matches, but not to competitive shooting (lots of multi-gun). I got bit by the 22lr bug and have been shooting it a lot more lately with the intent of doing some NRL22. The closest/soonest match for me is mid-June and I think I would like to try it, but it is an NRL22X match. I feel I will be incredibly under-prepared but still have an itch to go.

Here's what I'm working with:
16" Tikka T1x
30MOA Area419 rail
6-24 Diambondback Tactical FFP
Harris Bipod
CCI Standard Velocity

I haven't gotten my hands on any better ammo to test, so I know that will hinder my performance at distance. I also don't have any sort of bags or anything (open to suggestions) other than my Harris bipod.

It can't be that bad if I go in with no expectations of doing well, right? Any "must have" things I could grab that might help me out? Probably at least going to pick up a rear bag and maybe an ARCA rail and some sort of bag that can attach to it.

You 'need' better ammo. SK Std+ or Match would be way better and it pops up as available like once a day somewhere it seams

Don't bother getting a rear bag(at all honestly) or gamechanger(fortune cookie, warhorse etc) till after the match.

Borrow peoples shit and see what you like

Have fun. Ask for advice(off the clock). And be safe.

My local NRL22 and 22x match director just told me to show up and learn. He said I'll learn more just trying it out than trying to come in completely ready.

This month was my first 22 match. Next month is my first 22x match, it's also a Regional level match.

I showed up with my dope and CCI SV ammo, a harris bipod, a precision underground ELRX rear bag, and a Thunder bird Long range tacky taos front bag. I had guys offering all sorts of other bags and rests and gear to try. Honestly what gear I showed up with did not limit me at all, my lack of skills did though..

I did order a shmedium game changer because I tried one and liked it more than my current bag. I also plan on running SK Rifle Match for the 22x since it will have longer ranges.

Reactions: godofthunder
You 'need' better ammo. SK Std+ or Match would be way better and it pops up as available like once a day somewhere it seams

Don't bother getting a rear bag(at all honestly) or gamechanger(fortune cookie, warhorse etc) till after the match.

Borrow peoples shit and see what you like

Have fun. Ask for advice(off the clock). And be safe.
I'll try to snag some of that ammo and keep my eye out for some Lapua ammo (that isn't super pricey).

Good idea on the gear.

Go get it done!! It will be a blast. Your equipment looks like it will work just fine.
CCI sv is good enough dont worry about it. If your new to this positional shooting you will not beable to hold still enough to shoot the difference.

At the match take your time and make good shots dont try and get all of your shots off and miss.

Good luck!

Reactions: godofthunder