• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

NRL22X Gear?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
Ok guys, I've never competed before but there is an event coming up that I'd like to give a try. I don't know what to expect as far as gear to be used or allowed. I have no idea what to expect for target size either. According to their FB post, targets will be anywhere between 25 yards to 320 yards. With all that said, what do you consider a necessity to have with you when attending?

Just show up with your rifle and I’m 100% positive people will allow you to borrow their gear in the squad.
You can also watch a few videos on YouTube.

Reactions: drglock
A bipod, a rear bag, data for ranges out to 320 yds. Pretty much can't borrow those. Then you can borrow the rest.
Can’t borrow a bipod and rear bag from someone? Damn remind me not to squad with that group if I was brand new. 🤣 I’d be happy to lend my gear out.

Reactions: SourMash
What've you already got? Also it helps a lot to have a 12-rd or 15-rd mag, some stages at my club run more than the base 10.

Only gotcha on relying on loaner bipods is someone having the correct mount. I've taken stuff apart to help someone using a sling stud, but am in the minority using Harris. Had I also been using Arca with the various replacement swivel barrels the guy would have been hosed.

You can pretty much borrow any bag imaginable though.

Ok guys, I've never competed before but there is an event coming up that I'd like to give a try. I don't know what to expect as far as gear to be used or allowed. I have no idea what to expect for target size either. According to their FB post, targets will be anywhere between 25 yards to 320 yards. With all that said, what do you consider a necessity to have with you when attending?

What do you have for gear now?

1) Thank you for the replies.
2) let me apologize for being dumb and not stating what I already have.
3) I have a tripod (Special thanks to @021411 ) and ball head, a bipod, a gamechanger bag and a range finder.

Now that I've wrote that down, it looks like I have enough to get started. Is there ANYTHING else that you make sure to bring to the match? Having never been to one, I just don't know what to expect. Can you have multiple bags with you? How much shooting is off of a tripod? Is there any free hand shooting? Is a sling necessary?

Reactions: 021411
I'm assuming that you've found somewhere to verify your dope in the upper hundreds to the three hundreds. That will be the single best thing you can have with you on match morning. The gear you already have will do, maybe add a backpack. Since you already have the tripod a pair of binoculars and adapter are nice to view the cof but there will be plenty of those around.

In my NRL22 experience, you won’t be responsible for ranging your own targets, but you’re welcome to. The standard NRL22 COF never includes a tripod, but lots of places put on bonus stages for fun that might.

A scope-mounted dope card or arm board with the dope for the stage’s targets is pretty critical, you’ll need to be able to see elevations multiple targets very rapidly and those are the two main methods I’ve seen used. PM me if you’d like info on scope-mounted options.

Again, you want at least one 12-rd or 15-rd mag, or plan to do mag changes. Most prefer to run bigger mags even on 10-rd stages, since one misfeed will cost you a point if you don’t have a backup round, and you can’t really handfeed a backup 22LR round like you can centerfire.

As others have mentioned, a small rear bag can be useful; I like the Tab Gear rear bag, but many options are viable. You want a thin one (in addition to your GC), because sometimes squeezing into a ladder rung or whatever is too tight for a GC. I use the Velcro strap on that Tab Gear rear bag to attach it to my bipod, folded flat, as a poor man’s gamer plate.

If you really get into it, an anemometer such as a Kestrel will be useful, but don’t bother for now.

That’s all I can think of for now haha

Ballistic calculator for your dope. It would be good to true your rifles information to the farthest distance possible before the match. Meaning shoot your rifle to 300 and make your ballistic calculator match what your rifle and bullet are doing. Don’t just depend on the info that is given to you from the calculator. I’ve had good luck with StrelokPro.

Something to right your dope on for different yardages. Painters tape and a sharpie will work.

Water.

I know it will be hard but try and relax and have fun.

Ballistic calculator for your dope. It would be good to true your rifles information to the farthest distance possible before the match. Meaning shoot your rifle to 300 and make your ballistic calculator match what your rifle and bullet are doing. Don’t just depend on the info that is given to you from the calculator. I’ve had good luck with StrelokPro.

Something to right your dope on for different yardages. Painters tape and a sharpie will work.

Water.

I know it will be hard but try and relax and have fun.
Good advice here. I've had good luck with Hornady 4DOF, but StrelokPro seems to be one of the favorites for 22LR.

As for painter's tape, I support this too, if you don't want to jump into dope cards on your rifle or an arm board; a strip of yellow painter's tape on the back of your non-dominant forearm plus a Sharpie will accomplish the same goal.

Oh, and it's not a gear thing, but: as soon as you finish shooting a stage, immediately begin prepping the next stage. Figure out your stage dope(s), determine if you want to dial one setting then hold the rest or dial everything or hold everything, reset your scope zoom and your parallax (if needed), reload your mag(s), go to the bathroom (seriously), eat and drink something if you want to. It's easy to get sucked into watching other folks shoot the stage, then it's your turn up and you have no plan, no rounds in your mag, and everyone's waiting while you get it together. No pressure, there's enough time to set up and still watch a few people shoot the stage, but prepping for your next stage is your top priority.

Have fun!

Oh, and it's not a gear thing, but: as soon as you finish shooting a stage, immediately begin prepping the next stage. Figure out your stage dope(s), determine if you want to dial one setting then hold the rest or dial everything or hold everything, reset your scope zoom and your parallax (if needed), reload your mag(s), go to the bathroom (seriously), eat and drink something if you want to. It's easy to get sucked into watching other folks shoot the stage, then it's your turn up and you have no plan, no rounds in your mag, and everyone's waiting while you get it together. No pressure, there's enough time to set up and still watch a few people shoot the stage, but prepping for your next stage is your top priority.
This stuff right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The OP said he is new to competing.
Stay prepped, have your game plan, keep the squad moving. Don't be "that guy" 😉

Yup don’t be that guy. Also for data I always run a printed sheet of data and keep it in my pack. Anything electronic can and will break. Always have back up. Super easy to print it out.

Thank you guys, seriously y’all have been a great help. Last question though, what size targets are we talking about? I know it “could” be any size I guess but say out at 250 yds and beyond what would the average size be?

Another thing we do is print out the course of fire before the match (if that’s an option). We then go stage by stage writing down our dope for each target. Big time saver for sure. That also eliminates the electronic side of things crapping out on you.

Things that saved my bacon on my first rimfire match, which turned out to be a large NRL22X match.
-Strelock Pro
-Printed Course of Fire(CoF) to take notes, work on dope, and lessons learned from each stage.
-H2O
-Sun Block (I made serious points with my squad for sharing the SPF)
-Baby Wipes

I had bought and brought a lot of other gear with me, but in hindsight, I should have gone to more events, asked questions, get opinions and borrowed/tried others gear. All of that would have helped me make a more informed decision on needs, wants, and wishes.

Another thing we do is print out the course of fire before the match (if that’s an option). We then go stage by stage writing down our dope for each target. Big time saver for sure. That also eliminates the electronic side of things crapping out on you.
You wanna save yourself some time...

Just go to the NRL22.org website and take screenshots of the COF.....

You can then use the phone gallery's edit feature to write out dope and notes onto the screenshots themselves.

I then go to that in a pinch and don't have to run data pretty much at all.

I also run to the store and buy cooking recipe cards. They sell 100 for like a buck or two. Come in bright colors. And I stuff like 10 of those in my wrist coach.

Often I make stage or multi-stage specific cards and cycle them through as needed. And they contrast nicely with black sharpie.

I also keep a complete dope card in 10yd increments as a fall back in wrist coach.

We have always printed them out because the matches we shoot are not always NRL22 matches. The screenshot is a good idea, though.