• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NSR 4th gen vs SOLGWM89 vs carbon?

pangris

Private
Minuteman
  • Feb 25, 2006
    Greetings all. I'm going down the clip on road and took heed of some of the comments regarding RTZ capability and how no one serious about precision would ever mount an optic on a front rail, yet we clip on there etc etc etc.

My application is hog and yote eradication out to ~300 yards at night, so I'm assuming either the Noveske or M89 should be up to the task but I'm wondering if anyone has real world experience with them working or not working with specific regard to having optics of any flavor RTZ or not.

As an afterthought - for night guns, lighter is better and in general I'm not mad at the NSR but I am a huge fan of the Smoke Composites stock - has anyone put one of their handguards through the paces for mounting repeatability, or any other ultralight? I'm guessing that is where the weight compromise is, and it kinda makes me wonder if the NHR would offer any benefit as it is yet stiffer...

Thoughts, opinions and experience appreciated.

On your afterthought...I have both the Smoke (two of them actually) and the Coda carbon hand guard. I think the Coda is more rigid and features a better mounting system for timing the hand guard. the barrel nut and trunnion system is really good. With the smoke, you'll need barrel nut washers to get it to align properly at whatever torque spec you're using. With the Coda, you'll need to add railing so that may negate some weight advantage. I think the Smoke looks bad-ass and I like it's a bit larger around. If you opt for the Smoke with the integrated top pic rail, it's not exactly "exact". It works but it's not as precise as a "real" pic rail in metal or something like the Magpul polymer rails so I think RTZ would be affected.

Both are extremely light but if I were going after precision, choosing between the two, it'd be the Coda. Depending on the mounting system, a metal hand guard with integrated rail may be a better choice only due to the precise integrated rail. I use the Coda on a precision upper and the Smoke on an SBR.

I'd forgotten but you reminded me about the height differential issue. In a world measuring the center in hundredths, that's a deal killer.

So - NSR or M89 if those are what's in front of you? I have both in hand.