• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing NSS Rem-Age recoil lug pin and Manners Mini-Chassis

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Got a little bit of an issue, wanted to query the brain trust...

I recently picked up a 700 barreled action here that had been converted to a Rem-Age using a NSS pinned recoil lug, barrel nut and Criterion barrel. The NSS recoil lug is Savage-style, with a small relief cut into the bottom of the 700 action for the recoil lug pin to properly locate.

My issue is the recoil lug pin protrudes approx. 0.05" below the bottom of the 700 action, and as such I don't think the action sits quite flush in a Manners DBM mini-chassis.

This isn't my actual barreled action, but here's what it looks like:

DSC09922.jpg

Here's the issue with the mini-Chassis (also not my stock, 500+ miles from it right now)
dsc018431_zps080f578f.jpg

I could probably use a Dremel or file to make a small relief in the very front of the mini-chassis for the recoil lug pin, but I'm very hesitant to go bubba on the stock/chassis as I don't want to destroy its resale value. I've got an email into Manners to see if they could do a clean relief on a mill, something I figure most any competent gunsmith could also do.

Would another option be to remove the bottom of the recoil lug pin, that protrudes below the action?

Am I worrying to damn much about it?

Thanks...

If it were me, I would just use a dremel, or take it to a local machine shop if your scared to do it on your own.

Make sure you dry fit it first to make sure you have an issue. The way the mini chassis is, the action actually contacts the upper sides. If the pin does interact at the bottom, I would just either file or dremel it down flush.