• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Nucleus/Archimedes and cfe mag box

4O6shootist

F. J. B.
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
Anyone know if I can run a wyatt's center feed mag box in an ARC feed lip-less action like the nucleus or Archimedes? I know they're intended to be ran with dbm, but a Hawkins m5 oberndorf with wyatt's cfe should work in theory. I've ran cfe box in a bighorn tl3 before without issue.

Reactions: Stoweit
Update, talked to ARC today. I asked about using a cfe box, he said no you have to use aics since no feed lips are present in the mag. Guy was unaware that there are bdl mag boxes that utilize their own feed lips. So he had no other input other than saying "it might work, but not certain". I bet it would.

Update, talked to ARC today. I asked about using a cfe box, he said no you have to use aics since no feed lips are present in the mag. Guy was unaware that there are bdl mag boxes that utilize their own feed lips. So he had no other input other than saying "it might work, but not certain". I bet it would.
It would be nice if Ted, the designer of the Archimedes, would chime-in on this. I don’t know his username off the top of my head to tag him.

If you give a center feed box a try, please let us know. I don’t have an Archimedes or else I’d try it. Thanks

Anyone know if I can run a wyatt's center feed mag box in an ARC feed lip-less action like the nucleus or Archimedes? I know they're intended to be ran with dbm, but a Hawkins m5 oberndorf with wyatt's cfe should work in theory. I've ran cfe box in a bighorn tl3 before without issue.
Works for my Mausingfield with M5 Obendorf bottom metal and a Wyatt center feed box for 300 PRC.

This application might work better with ARC than Impact. The controlled round feed captures the round when it leaves the box.

Works for my Mausingfield with M5 Obendorf bottom metal and a Wyatt center feed box for 300 PRC.

This application might work better with ARC than Impact. The controlled round feed captures the round when it leaves the box.
Hawk, is your Mausingfield an open or closed top?

Hawk, is your Mausingfield an open or closed top?
Open top.

But that is a good question.

Open versus closed top receiver should not affect the feeding from the box magazine, but it may affect the ease of even ability to top load.

I have adjusted the feed lips on the box to be able to top load. The open top is a plus here.

I suspect with the closed top receiver you may have to bottom feed using the hinged base plate. Not a big deal and makes adjusting feed lips less critical.

I run Hawkins Hunter mags on a different rifle and use a closed top Mausingfield in that application.

Both are long actions. Both are hunting rifles.

Horses for courses.

I went to the Wyatt extended box for longer COAL to be able to run Barnes 212 Bore Rider bullets which of course Barnes has now forgotten how to make.

Given the design of the bore rider bullet, I built these rifles with a very short freebore which of course does not work very well with other bullets.

Shortages suck.

Reactions: HawkinsPrecision
Looks like this has been answered, but CFE boxes are product designed so folks could run a BDL on actions without feedlips and run more COAL. You should be fine in your application. CFEs can require some finesse to tune, but you should be fine. The other option would be a Hunter DBM and magazine.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
Open top.

But that is a good question.

Open versus closed top receiver should not affect the feeding from the box magazine, but it may affect the ease of even ability to top load.

I have adjusted the feed lips on the box to be able to top load. The open top is a plus here.

I suspect with the closed top receiver you may have to bottom feed using the hinged base plate. Not a big deal and makes adjusting feed lips less critical.

I run Hawkins Hunter mags on a different rifle and use a closed top Mausingfield in that application.

Both are long actions. Both are hunting rifles.

Horses for courses.

I went to the Wyatt extended box for longer COAL to be able to run Barnes 212 Bore Rider bullets which of course Barnes has now forgotten how to make.

Given the design of the bore rider bullet, I built these rifles with a very short freebore which of course does not work very well with other bullets.

Shortages suck.
Didn’t Ted redesign the mausingfield to have the open top and set if for common hunter(BDL and such)style bottom metal/magazines then bring back the closed top because of demand for the AI type magazines ?

I do believe there’s a difference in the mag cutout between the two.

There certainly is a difference in the receiver ejection port but I was not aware of a difference in the mag cutout.

I have both but do not know what I am looking for.

Didn’t Ted redesign the mausingfield to have the open top and set if for common hunter(BDL and such)style bottom metal/magazines then bring back the closed top because of demand for the AI type magazines ?

I do believe there’s a difference in the mag cutout between the two.
Open top is indeed designed for bdl style.