• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

number of reloads for 338 lapua?

paulnyc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2009
New York, New York
How many reloads can you get out of .338 lapua? I heard only 3 or 4 before heads start to separate and cracks start appearing. Any thoughts?

Re: number of reloads for 338 lapua?

Minimum full length resizing and regular annealing you can get 20+ firings out of quality brass. You can also ruin it pretty damn easily.

As expensive as 338 Lapua components seem to be I would have my own chamber and resize reamers and a really good set of dies made up to match my chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulnyc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many reloads can you get out of .338 lapua? I heard only 3 or 4 before heads start to separate and cracks start appearing. Any thoughts? </div></div>

Lapua brass. I have never annealed. Full length resize using a redding bushing die-I still have cases from 2005 with 20+ loadings. Who told you they got 3 to 4 loading before "head start..and cracks? They are talking out of their ass.

I've never even had primer pockets get loose. In 4 different 338LM rifles.No reason to anneal- brass isn't worked very hard at all. Very easy caliber to load for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulnyc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many reloads can you get out of .338 lapua? I heard only 3 or 4 before heads start to separate and cracks start appearing. Any thoughts? </div></div>

In all of my reading here and in other forums and magazines, regarding the 338 Lapua, I've never, ever, read that and I've read a lot.

I've fired my batch of sixty Lapua brand, ten times, so I'm on my eleventh cycle. I got one stuck in my kinetic bullet puller last month and had to wrench it out, scarring it up.

Instead of a nice funeral for him, I loaded up a 250gr LockBase w/o powder, polished him up all nice and purty and gave him to a shooting buddy who thought he was pretty cool.

He's in a better place now (moment of silence, please.)

I'm on five or sixth cycles with some new Norma, but I had a neck split on one after two cycles, which was odd. I don't load full power very much, but the 98 I have now are still going strong.

I hate loading up 98 rounds...orphans, damn orphans.

Chris

damn chris...thats just sad. I have a shit load of brass and would gladly send you a few so you can always have an even 100

I'll be reloading my Norma brass for the 13th. time and no issues. I do anneal every 5th reload. After being fired 12 times, the cases don't even need trimming. So far, I only neck size.
myerfire

I am on my 12 reload with my Lapua brass. No problem

I will be shooting a TRG42 which I guess is easier on the brass than a gas gun. Is anealing important to extending the life of the brass?

I have never anealed my brass including the 50BMG. With the 338LM and everything smaller, I only neck size the brass.

I have two sets of brass going right now for the .338 Lapua and both the Norma and Lapua brass have 10 reloads on them and still going strong.

I'm on my 6th and 7th cycles using HSM brass with no failures. The HSM brass is "supposedly" not as good as the Lapua brass but these stood some pretty stiff loads during development phase and still show no signs of giving up. As posted above loading the 338LM is pretty straight forward and less involved then some of the smaller cartridges.