• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Numismatics / Coin collector 'Geeks'

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    Anyone here into Coin, Paper Currency collecting here ?. I know this does have hobby interests to some out there.
    Also add, I know little to nothing on the subject. what I have here, it All looks like Monopoly, play money to me.

Recently found some old Paper Currencies found pressed in a book.
    So for anyone here bored on a Saturday night, If you want to play Inspector Clouseau ?

What I am doing is just lay them out here, and taking a Pic. of the Face and Back of the paper.
    -

monopoly money 1.jpg

-
    monopoly money.jpg

-

Based on the countries and time periods covered it looks like a WWII GI currency collection of where that guy went, especially if the book they were in does not post date the war period.

Reactions: NoDopes and Maggot
    I was inot collecting gold $20 coins, had a pretty good collection the fell on some hard times and Pfffft gone.

Quick look on ebay, the French Franc note (second one down from top, left side) is 50's era and so is the Swiss Fanc on the bottom right. The Italian Lire (top left) might be WWII era. I'd guess all those notes are somewhere between 1930's to 1960's mintages. I just looked up those three mentioned above, didn't look up any of the Asian notes. Ebay BIN prices are roughly $15 for the notes I checked. You will have to either check out an up-to-date world currency book at the library for current estimated values or ask around at local coin shops to get pointed in the right direction. I don't see any obvious minting errors on any of those notes, so any potential value beyond market value will be based on rarity and maybe condition of the notes. That's where you'll need a numismatist.

I pick up every 1883 Morgan dollar I can, no real reason other than I like the coin and they’re all 100 years older than me.

Probably have 250 of them, ranging from basically scrap to a few MS67 pieces. Beyond this though, I’m completely in the dark on the numismatic game.

Reactions: IronSkillet
    I too will say that the story of 'them all together' would be interesting to hear. Very much so.

man I busy and really NOT into currency paper, but now me curious, so I am wasting time looking on the internet at Paper pictures... LOL

Italian 100 Cento Lire note . 1951
    Swiss 5 note , 1952
    French 1000 Francs note , 1955
    Korea 5 note . 1947
    Chinese 100 Yuan note , 1945
    Japan Yen 10 note , 1943- 44
    (looks like) Nazi Reichsmark 1 note , 1937
    Reichsmark 20 note , 1929

Ok , there is also a . 5 Cent, Military Payment Certificate 481, laying in the bunch also . 1951 to 54
    so most likely it is linked to GI pack-ratting

I don't really have any story behind the paper notes. Paper notes just comes from piles of stuff that got handed down to me.
    It possible was my Ol'man's. but he was in the 502nd and was out from Warner Kaserne in like 58 . He was a pack-rat, but I really never knew him collecting odd currency at all. He mostly collected Winchesters and few other firearms.
    Or possible more likely notes came from a close older family friend of his that was in WW2 Navy S. Pacific . He was a part of our family. My Ol'man had kept a lot of his odds and ends after he died.
    My dad just called him Unc, short for 'uncle' but I don't think he was even his Uncle, or even related to our family, we all just grew-up called him Unc . His born name was Al .
    I know Unc got around the world some in WW2, was pack-rat, gold miner, rock hound, jeweler, he was a colorful character . I know he was one of a few survivors on naval ship that sunk in battle which I heard was pretty horrific. Unc drew Naval pension from day discharged till day he died .

Last edited: