• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV and thermal kit

sgtkeebler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
DFW, Texas
I am looking to purchase both NV and a thermal for personal and work (city law enforcement, night shift) with a budget of around $5500, not to include mounts. My ballistic helmet already has a shroud. (Can increase budget by about $500 if needed just gotta work some extra OT).

For the NV I was thinking of PVS14 to just navigate at night along with search/rescue and search for suspects at night.

For thermal I want something I can use as both a scope for hunting and to use for search/rescue & tracking suspects. I have been looking at the Pulsar Apex XQ38 based on recommendation from the forum and it’s price, would this work well for my needs?

Thanks for input and suggestions.

They Apex 38mm is a great entry level scope ... and it has something other entry level scopes do not have ... a MANUAL focus ring. The others have FIXED focus (at 50yds so they get fuzzy beyond 100yds). So I would definitely recommend the 38mm for that end of the price spectrum. If you want to bump up to the XQ50mm the larger lens pulls in more information in poor thermal conditions.

The PVS-14 is a very flexible too and perfect for navigation and with an ir-illuminator on your helmet (or in your hand) you can also light up dark areas and still maintain stealth if needed.

Of course the thermal is best for looking into totally dark areas.

==

So I endorse your plan !!!

:)

I am looking to purchase both NV and a thermal for personal and work (city law enforcement, night shift) with a budget of around $5500, not to include mounts. My ballistic helmet already has a shroud. (Can increase budget by about $500 if needed just gotta work some extra OT).

For the NV I was thinking of PVS14 to just navigate at night along with search/rescue and search for suspects at night.

For thermal I want something I can use as both a scope for hunting and to use for search/rescue & tracking suspects. I have been looking at the Pulsar Apex XQ38 based on recommendation from the forum and it’s price, would this work well for my needs?

Thanks for input and suggestions.

Hey Brother, give me a PM or call us. We assist many LEO's with great disocunts and education for your specific needs. Be glad to help.