• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NV-capable variable for LMT MWS?

rifleman0321

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
midwest/USA
I have an LMT MWS. I also have a PVS-14. So, in glassing this beast, I want to use a low-to-mid power variable optic, but it needs to have a NV-compatible illuminated reticle. What are my options? Of course a ranging/BDC reticle, locking/capped target knobs, great glass, bombproof construction, and compact size are desirable, as well. Anybody got any ideas? I am familiar with most of the good manufacturers, but don't know who makes NV-compatible models besides Nightforce? I'm looking at something in the range of 1-4x24 to 2.5-10x32.

Re: NV-capable variable for LMT MWS?

I don't know what scope would be best for you, but I do hope that you have looked into what tube you have in your PVS14. Some of them are not meant to stand up to a .308 recoil. There has been some discussion about PVS14s and 308 recoil on the night vision section on AR15.com

Hmmm. That might be something to look into. Anybody else, feel free to chime in on that issue, too!

I would highly recommend going with a PVS-22, and using whatever day optic you already own.

1-4 go for a schmidt short dot, they have night vision compat ret.

I'm not going to give any false info, but i HEARD the nightforce 2.5-10x24 models (not x32) have a NV compatible reticle (as in its ok to place NV behind the scope).

Jolly Roger - Any reason that you <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> an illuminated reticle? I have NV compatible scopes for my 14s and I don't even use the illumination feature...I find that a quality illuminator on TRGT helps me see my black crosshairs fine. Helps me focus on the TRGT better than the contrasting lit reticle.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9mmkungfu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly recommend going with a PVS-22</div></div> While this is a good solution, probably not the most realistic recommendation since I suspect most folks don't have 8k+ to go NVD shopping.

doorkicker, I like the illuminated reticle because I do not always use the PVS-14. For instance, in a freshly hayed field, with a good moon and a quality scope, I do not need NV to see coyotes, etc., but an illuminated reticle is a good thing.

What model illuminator are you using, and what kind of effective range are you getting out of it?

I have a ATPIAL & one of Victor's illuminators called, "Da' Torch" <----don't ask, I didn't name that shit.
grin.gif

Da Torch
Victors illuminator really surprised me...you can illuminate a couple hundred yards with it pending environmental conditions. Well worth the $$$! The ATPIAL....well, it's an ATPIAL
grin.gif

I like glass with the illum. feature, but don't use it under NV myself.

That DA Torch seeems pretty good for the money, and the ATPIAL is what I would want- if I were going to spend that kind of money on a glorified flashlight!
grin.gif
So DA Torch is good for 2-300m? I might be interested in it for some uses, but I still want to be able to use the .308's range more effectively, preferably without breaking the bank. I am already going to buy a good scope for the rifle, and I have the PVS-14 already, so if I can make them work together, I will get the job done without spending any more than I was already planning to. I could be good for 2-300 by putting my Aimpoint in front of the 14, like I do with the M4. But the .308 has longer legs, more trajectory, so the Aimpoint is somewhat limiting for this application. Hence my search for a scope with a bottom end of 2.5 or less and a top end up to 10, that I can use in conjunction with the NOD. It is proving to be an interesting search.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So DA Torch is good for 2-300m? I might be interested in it for some uses, but I still want to be able to use the .308's range more effectively, preferably without breaking the bank.</div></div>Da Torch is easily good for 200-300m pending environmental conditions. Realize that it's not just the illuminator that is the limiting factor, but the capability of your PVS14s as well. They will get you to 300 fixed to a day scope, maybe a little further on a good day if you're lucky IMO before they are tapped out on utility. At which point you'll need to look at a PVS22 or better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hence my search for a scope with a bottom end of 2.5 or less and a top end up to 10, that I can use in conjunction with the NOD. It is proving to be an interesting search. </div></div>Sounds like a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 or 2.5-10x32 would fit the bill well.

Here is another alternative: <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">3-9x36 MR/T ill. M1</span></span></span> on MK12 MOD 0 SPR:
mk12mod0spr.jpg

I don't know if you have a Monoloc for your PVS14s like in ym pic above, but this might be a great alternative that is cheaper from Marty at Badger if you don't Badger Ordnance SNAP

Hey now, "Da Torch" could not be helped with me growing up in Chicago with Da Bears, Da Cubs, Da Bulls, Da Hawks. Some other customers actually named it early on how bright it was. I just added the other caveat.
smile.gif

Sorry for the hijack, now back to your regular scheduled broadcast.