• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV Mounting Options - EFR or MIRS?

Megahoser

Shogun of the Higher Steppes
Minuteman
I have been considering two methods for NV mounting on my bolt-actions.

-McCann MIRS
-Badger EFR

I have have a couple of questions for others who have experience with either...

I'll start with the EFR...All my stocks are HS Precision, and the EFR inletting will leave very little side wall remaining on the fore-end after mounting, is this really an issue? Does anyone here currently use the EFR on an HS? Any pics? Anyone utilizing the front swivel tap into the bottom of the mount?

On the McCann...How much higher does the mount actually sit than a traditional base? What height rings should I expect to use to clear the bell on a 50mm objective? Is the 8-40 conversion a must?

Any feedback from users of either system would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: NV Mounting Options - EFR or MIRS?

I've used both, and only have used a McMillan A2 and A5 stock with no issues with the EFR's. Not used a H&S but agree their is not much wall thickness there vs. the McMillan's.

The McCann system we see a raise of approx. 3/4" and we've used rings at 1.18" SPUHR with 50mm objectives.

With that said using a clip-on, it's best to use as close to 1.5" ring height to co-witness the clip on's from the PVS type systems. Most all PVS-22's, 27's, CNVD-LR's sit just about 1.5" high with the their Larue mounts rail to center of eyepiece. The SPUHR 1.46" height mounts units work very well.

Here's a picture of my Remington 5R with a Badger Ordanance EFR. It's on an H&S stock, but not the one that comes with the 5R. I ended up swapping it for a H&S that I believe comes on the 700P models. We just couldn't get it to work on the first stock (too thin), but works great/sturdy on the second. GA Precision did the work.

I'm using 1.46" high rings from Badger Ordanance. I think they are intended for an AR. The overall height required the stock riser. I've finially got everything lined up and shooting great, but If I had it to do over I'd probably go with a Manners/Mcmillian style and EFR.

I though about the MIRS. Did quite a bit of research and decided not to. Kept hearing negatives regarding flex and consistency. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but decided just not to test it for myself.

IMG_4227.jpg

Thanks for the replies and the pic. I do have a couple of the 5R stocks and one PST025(M-24 style). The latter is a little wider on the fore-end and what I am planning to mount the EFR to. I still may get a MIRS for my .300WM. By the way...What cant do you have on your scope base, any?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies and the pic. I do have a couple of the 5R stocks and one PST025(M-24 style). The latter is a little wider on the fore-end and what I am planning to mount the EFR to. I still may get a MIRS for my .300WM. By the way...What cant do you have on your scope base, any? </div></div>

20 MOA Badger Ordnance.

Please report back how the MIRS works out.