• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV Novice Question...

plong

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    Please excuse my inexperience... I've searched, could not find the answer to this most-basic of questions...

For my newly acquired Simrad PVS 9 (thanks Cory) what is best practice re. opening the lens cap? Only in the dark, whether unit is on or off? Or, is it okay to open the cap in daylight/artificial light as long as the unit is not powered on? In particular I'm thinking about lens cleaning, and... true confessions... I did already open it once under artificial light (fluorescent, if it makes a difference) to inspect the lens. Hoping I didn't screw it up! (Yes: should have asked first, Doh!...)

There might be something magically different about the SIMRAD? Maybe redneckbeamer or KSE will weigh in .. but I've been treating mine like any other NV I've had. I take off the cover to clean it. I don't point it at bright light.
    If for some reason I want to turn it on in the day, I go in the closet, close the door and pack a blanket on the opening at the floor.

Otherwise I only turn it on outside at night.

you can open the cap in daylight with the unit powered off with any gen 3 nv device. the tube does nothing without the power supply active.

There might be something magically different about the SIMRAD? Maybe redneckbeamer or KSE will weigh in .. but I've been treating mine like any other NV I've had. I take off the cover to clean it. I don't point it at bright light.
    If for some reason I want to turn it on in the day, I go in the closet, close the door and pack a blanket on the opening at the floor.

Otherwise I only turn it on outside at night.
    You know you can also leave the cap on. It should have a tiny little hole in it to make the unit usable in the daylight. I mean you don't want to constantly do that, but you can use the unit during the day for demo purposes with the daylight cap.

Wig & KSE: thanks much! Knew I could count on you guys to set me straight, ?.

Last edited: