• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NV optics for mounting ahead of your Daytime optic

Firemarshall27

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2003
Stoutsville, Ohio,
What all NV Optics are avaible to the public to mount ahead of your day optic? Something tike a PSV22,14,17 ect. Just want to know what is out there and what works at a somewhat reasonable price.

Re: NV optics for mounting ahead of your Daytime optic

What is your definition of a "reasonable" price and what do you need to be able to identify? Shapes? Facial features?

There is a ton of stuff out there that is military grade, but it's generally more expensive than the rifle it will be mounted on.

Kind of tangential, but when it comes time to mount the optic, the Gruning steel base looks tits:

Gruning Base

Bet it costs as much as many rifles, though.

At the Reade Range match this past weekend we were looking through Jim R's PVS22 mounted on a Badger IMUNS in front of an S&B 5-25.
We could clearly see the detail on/around a house ~800 yds away, target engagement would be a dream, we were giggling like kids.

The PVS-22 line of optics is what is used for putting a NOD out in front of a day optic. These units are optically aligned for this purpose. Putting a PVS-14, or any other monocular does not work well at all for these applications.

As for reasonably priced, the commercial version PVS-22 Pinnacle unit is in the $7600 range while the Mil-Spec Tube version is in the $8500 range. There are other PVS-22 versions out there that may be 2K cheaper but we have found these units do NOT hold POA/POI too well at all.

Hope this helps.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stringer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of tangential, but when it comes time to mount the optic, the Gruning steel base looks tits:

Gruning Base

Bet it costs as much as many rifles, though.

</div></div>

Jim does some great stuff, he's been around for awhile.

Im a dealer for NightVisionDepot. If your really interested I give the best prices around. Listen to Victor, above...don't buy cheap stuff, its crap that wont hold up. I have a Pinnacle tube, milspec rated demo for $7100.00 You can also go with something like a PVS-14 behind an ACOG...good out several hundred yds. let me know if your really interested and check us out online at NVD.com Goldie aka Howard

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. We have been trying to add NV capability to day scope on our sniper rifles for my team.

Victor or anyone else who has look through both the military spec and the civilian version of the PVS-22 how do the two compare?

Is the worth moving up to the PVS-27? I'm talking for use in law enforcement, used rarely over 300 yards or would the PVS-22 get use there.

One more question that I wanted to add to the last post. With the PVS-22/27 can it be used as a hand held NV optic without the scope? Seems like I've read where it needs to be used with a scope, rifle or spotting. But I could swear I've read you can used the PVS-22/27 as a hand held. Example would be holding up to your eye without the scope.