• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV Scope with thermal scanner

bwp86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Trenton, MO
I’m looking to get into NV or thermal for coyote hunting within 250 yards. I’ve gone back and forth on picking up a wraith with a thermal scanner or just getting a Hogster/rattler. I like the ability to scan with the thermal and have the NV to ID and shoot. What do you all use? Thoughts on that setup?

Pluses and minuses to everything... Something like a FLIR Breach is a great tool for spotting animals at night. It's relatively affordable, can be easily head mounted, small, light etc.. That's what I run for spotting. It's not the only answer, though.

On the weapon I go back and forth. You can often see things with the Breach that you can't see with NV because of illuminator bloom, shadows, foliage, etc... In those instances I wished I had a thermal on the gun, too. I have also, however, called in foxes while calling coyotes and couldn't see the difference in the thermal. I thought I was dealing with a coyote until I found him in the NV. I think with a good thermal unit on the rifle and some experience watching animals with it a guy could probably be okay running just thermal... Except on nights where it's wet/misty/humid where everything is the same temp.. Makes navigation very challenging.

My current set up is a PVS14 + Breach helmet mount. Weapon has an IR laser (fast movers <50m) and I just got in my Super Yoter R for longer shots. I'm anxious to get out this winter and put that Yoter through its paces. So far very impressed with it.