• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Nvision Halo XRF Settings

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
Having issues with picking up heat signatures at distance with my XRF. I almost totally scanned past a coyote at ~800yds because it was gray rather than white when using white hot.

A little background info, I am using the factory recommended settings. Humidity was 35-45% at the time of testing. I have parked at a cattle pasture and adjusted settings individually and I felt like I got the cattle to “pop” a little better but a coyote sized animal still didn’t put off quite as vivid of a heat signature. I hear people say they can pick up heat signatures and even ID with an XRF further than most thermals but I must not have my settings dialed in properly. Looking for some tips on what to play with to fine tune it. At this point, getting a vivid heat signature is more important to me than seeing very fine detail on the animal itself.

My display settings on my X50 are
ROI - 1/4
What distance are you picking up heat signatures of coyotes? I can see cattle a long ways but coyotes for whatever reason don’t have quite the same “pop”. I know they’re a smaller animal but I’m seeing them at literally half the distance as my old Bering Super Yoter. And maybe I haven’t given it a fair shot in cool weather. I was trying it in late summer before.

500 yards is the furthest open field distance I have to hunt and I have no issues seeing coyote that far away.
I'm sure in the colder weather coyote will be much more noticeable to you, but there's only one way to find out.
Good luck.

SJC

Reactions: bmicek
Been running Halo XRFs for a couple years now and you can see a coyote way way farther than you can shoot!

Last night I ranged one at 1441yd standing against a hill side!

Reactions: Euro.Connor