• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NX8 glass vs ATACR glass

Jesucristo, not again. Search will beat this dead horse for you.
Seems like the past couple weeks have had so many asking this question. OP check out this thread

The search bar will take you far my friend, but I’ve had a few beers now so I’ll continue. I’m confused how this is even a question? ATACR for sure. If you’re looking at the 2.5-20 you won’t be too happy if you’ve looked through other highish end scopes. The 4-32 NX8 is a great scope, still no ATACR, but I’d say comparable to the 3.6-18 MK5 when using the 4-32 in 4-20x with some tunneling from like 4 to 4.5ish. Up to 24x it still pretty good but not awesome. Past 24-32x it’s super touchy and glass really diminishes. I’ve never looked through a 5-25 voodoo. Pure glass quality and illuminated reticle isn’t necessary for you I’d go with a Leopold MK5 5-25 assuming you can find a reticle you like.

I have had a few of all the scopes you have listed. If illumination is not a must I have this in the order in which I found them to be best to worst...

Mk5 HD 3.6-18 > 4-32 NX8 F1 > VUDU 5-25.

I actually compared the mk5 to a 4-16 ATACR and a TT 3-15M. I found the TT glass to barely edge out the mk5 in low light and the ATACR was about 99.7% as good as the mk5 in low light. Now the mk5hd I had did show a slight bit of CA where the other two had none. I ended up keeping the 4-16x42 ATACR out of those 3. I still have a 4-32 NX8, but it will be leaving in a few weeks.

I parted ways with my mk5hds because of the reticles and lack of illumination.

Last edited:
I have had a few of all the scopes you have listed. If illumination is not a must I have this in the order in which I found them to be best to worst...

Mk5 HD 3.6-18 > 4-32 NX8 F1 > VUDU 5-25.

I actually compared the mk5 to a 4-16 ATACR and a TT 3-15M. I found the TT glass to barely edge out the mk5 in low light and the ATACR was about 99.7% as good as the mk5 in low light. Now the mk5hd I had did show a slight bit of CA where the other two had none. I ended up keeping the 4-16x42 ATACR out of those 3. I still have a 4-32 NX8, but it will be leaving in a few weeks.

I parted ways with my mk5hds because of the reticles and lack of illumination.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Why did you keep the 4-16 ATACR over the MK5?

Everyone's eyes are different. I have had three 3.6-18 mk5s and sold every one. I like everything but the glass in them. I actually prefer the glass in my Nxs to them. I just bought a 4-32 nx8 after checking out several in person. To my eye it is better than the nxs or mk5. I suggest looking through all of them before making a purchase.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Why did you keep the 4-16 ATACR over the MK5?
Illumination
Proven tracking
Proven durability
Desired reticle

Probably the biggest reason is I decided to streamline my optics to all ATACRS with the same reticle. I can pick any rifle I own now and I know the reticle like the back of my hand. I figure the more variables I can remove/control the better off I am.

Reactions: deersniper