• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NXS 3.5-15X56 vs. SS 5-20X50

nleaders

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
AZ
Which of these would you run on the gun in my signature? A 30-06 running 208 A-Max at 2700 fps shooting out to 1000 but no further at this point. Basically I have the option to get an SS but I don't really need it. It looks like a great scope, but I know that NF makes an amazing scope, but the one I have is a little older. What would the adv. be of an SS, and is it worth it?

I am still warming up to the whole extended range shooting, and I did not know if this would give me a huge advantage.

Re: NXS 3.5-15X56 vs. SS 5-20X50

If it's not broke, don't fix it. I have no experience with the SS scope, but I'm sure it's great. You have a top notch scope, and the fact that it's older may be a plus in some people's mind. I'd use the money to fill other holes in my long range equipment needs.

Is the one you have FFP? Since it is older I'm guessing not?

Anyways, if I were to upgrade, it would be for the FFP reason and not for the glass, travel, or tube toughness.

If I were you and thinking about upgrading from a Nightforce, it wouldn't be the SS on my mind. I would upgrade the old Nf for either the F1 NXS, or the 5.5-22 NXS with adjustments matching the reticle and the Zero-stop feature. Just my $0.02

There are a few big differences right off the bat. First your Nightforce is most likley not First focal plane, second is the magnification difference, I prefer a 20X scope for shooting long range tactical. I don't alway shoot at full power, but it sure is nice to zoom in and range the target.
Are you buying a Supersniper on the group buy? if so, get your scope and make your own decision, if you don't like it, sell it here.
Enjoy, SScott