• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NXS Help!---I'm a NF newb.

Short Round

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
Glens Falls, NY
I have a quick but simple question on my new NF 5.5-22 w/ zero stop.

I'm not setting the zero stop yet I just want to move my turrets to zero the knobs. I read the manual it says to loosen the allen screw 1.5-2 turns so that you turn the knob freely without changing your setting.

Well I loosen the screw and turn the knob and it's still clicking while I move it to the zero mark on the knob. IIRC my us optics knobs just glide without clicking so this makes me go "huh?".

Am I doing this wrong?

thanks,

sr

Re: NXS Help!---I'm a NF newb.

There are two screws 180 degrees from each other that have to be loosened in order for the cap to spin free and set the zero on your scope.

Don't be afraid to set the zero stop either it is quite easy to do and is a great feature of that scope. Hope this helps.

Done!

Thanks Treebasher!!

I might adjust things again. Yesterday I did the barrel break in procedure shooting on my .260 on FN SPR action. No pics yet as I was trying to get through twenty rounds before dark!

Not a speck of blue on any patch with all those cleanings. I like this Rock Creek barrel better than my .30 cal Obermeyer.

SR

Ah, got ya. Did the same thing while I was setting up eye relief etc...

What are you using for a bore cleaner? So far after hundreds of dollars and dozens of partially used bottles of snake oil I have completely switched over to Bore Tech products. I think that they make the best cleaning rod out there right now also.

Their Eliminator bore cleaner amazes me, cleans like no other and doesn't tear up your barrel or run you out of your gun room with the stink of normal cleaners.

http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

Never owned an Obermeyer barrel but a couple of my friends do. They shoot great but seem to be REALLY picky on what load you use with them. What is your experience?

I used shooter's choice for the first 10 shots and 10 cleanings. I used that instead of wipe out because I wanted to use a nylon brush for some physical action. Then I shot 3 and cleaned with wipe out with their accellerator to see if it'd pick anything. After 30 minutes for chemical action I had no blue.

then I shot 2 four round groups cleaning with wipeout in between. Nothing. After the last 4 shot group I put wipe out in for the drive home. Still no blue, just a touch of brown. So I cleaned it one more time with wipe out.

I was tempted to pick up one of their 6mm/6.5mm cleaning rods but in the end I just ordered a lucas bore guide to work with my .22 cal dewey. I still might and have Lucas ship me another bore guide rod insert.

My .308 doesn't seem to be too picky...a "bad" load is still under and inch. I was shooting all 175 SMK's but lately have been using 155 old palmas for less recoil for our club's 200 yard shooting. I did have to work more for a 155 load though. With the new palma, if I get a good load I just might drop the 175 SMK's. (I should have got the sniper fill!!!)

The 175 SMK load I have would shoot 1/2" groups at 200. Lapua brass, 175 SMK, GM210M, and 42.6 of RL15. 2660 fps. I worked up to 43.8 but the web was expanding a bit too much for my tastes. The accuracy was better up there though.

I did my work up with the 155's with IMR 4064. shoots great but dirty as a coal mine. I did an 80 round run w/o cleaning and accuracy was fine but the cleaning was a chore. I did get some blue then. I didn't want to run any more through w/o cleaning.

treebasher said:
There are two screws 180 degrees from each other that have to be loosened in order for the cap to spin free and set the zero on your scope.

When you spin the cap do you just turn it to line up with the zero or do you turn it down until the cap bottoms out?

When aligning all you have to do is slightly loosen the screws and spin the cap until the zero aligns with the zero line on the turret.

If you are setting the zero stop you will have to loosen the cap screws even more and pul the cap straight up and off of the turret. Once you have the cap off loosen the four screws in the top of the aluminum clutch assembly. Once these are loosened turn the clutch assembly until it bottoms out and stops on the machined shoulder. Now tighten the four screws and your zero stop is set. Replace the cap, tighten the two external set screws being careful to not overtighten and to tighten evenly not binding the cap.

Hope this helps.