• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NXS WINDAGE HASHMARKS

longshooter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
MI, USA
My 5.5-22, when windage erector is at center of travel is on 33 moa windage knob hash mark, instead of 40 moa (hash mark center). Is there an internal adj to correct this?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but can you just loosen the set screw on the windage turret and rotate the turret?

No. The turret moves L & R, with stationary hashes on tower. I wish for center-center orientation, with "4" hash being in coincidence with centered erector. There is a small set screw in erector works that can be seen when knob is removed, but I know not what it is for.

Slip the turret to read 0......then forget about which direction has 4 moa extra travel. The set screw you can see when the turret is removed is probably for the "click" engagement when rotating. Just call NightForce, they are extremely helpful.

What does it matter? The way the rifle is put together plus the way the scope is mounted on the rifle may only have the scope lined up 99.999999% parallel to the bore. Let it be, zero the turret and be done with it. There is no fix to something that is not broken. This is why scopes have adjustments.

Reactions: EXTREMEPREJUDICE
Fellas, I don't think that settling for less, is more. This is, if unsolvable, a glaring discrepancy of a mirrometer indication on an otherwise precision instrument.

On this scope, the 4 should be 0, working left or right towards 1,2,3. 0,0 should be attainable with erector at it's central location.

I get wanting your kit "right" but you're swimming upstream man. That said..

If you MUST have your windage zero'd at the "4"hash mark you'll need a windage adjustable base or rings. I consider these less than ideal, but to each their own.

If you won't use a windage adjustable base/rings and can't stand it being "not centered " sell the scope but I doubt you'll find another that fits your standard.

I don't see scope companies working toward micrometer precision of the turret caps as there are few, if any, shooters out there that will ever dial 30 moa of wind and actually hit anything except earth.

Curious what you come up with to fix it replace this. Please keep us updated.

Fellas, I don't think that settling for less, is more. This is, if unsolvable, a glaring discrepancy of a mirrometer indication on an otherwise precision instrument.

On this scope, the 4 should be 0, working left or right towards 1,2,3. 0,0 should be attainable with erector at it's central location.
I dont think you understand that this is completely normal and is always the case. ALWAYS. Why do you think scopes that arent meant to dial once zeroed have windage adjustments in the first place. Nothing is wrong with the scope or the rifle. Its not settling. Its being educated on the subject. I’m not demeaning you in any way somdont take it that way. You just dont know.

I get wanting your kit "right" but you're swimming upstream man. That said..

If you MUST have your windage zero'd at the "4"hash mark you'll need a windage adjustable base or rings. I consider these less than ideal, but to each their own.

If you won't use a windage adjustable base/rings and can't stand it being "not centered " sell the scope but I doubt you'll find another that fits your standard.

I don't see scope companies working toward micrometer precision of the turret caps as there are few, if any, shooters out there that will ever dial 30 moa of wind and actually hit anything except earth.

Curious what you come up with to fix it replace this. Please keep us updated.
The OP is wanting his scope to be zeroed windage wise perfectly in the center of his errector travel. It has nothing to do with his turrets and there is no fix to his non problem.

Have you ever zeroed a scope without making windage adjustments? That is basically what he is wanting to do. He doesnt understand that just switching between ammunition will require windage adjustments which means that what he is asking is almost impossible. He is ignotant when it comes to this subject. After this thread and lots of trigger time he wont be.

It's no different than the threads started because someone used up elevation zeroing and when you try and explain they need a canted base there will be 5 pages on theories on why it should zero at the manufacturers optical center. Not sure if they just can't comprehend or are trolling?

It's no different than the threads started because someone used up elevation zeroing and when you try and explain they need a canted base there will be 5 pages on theories on why it should zero at the manufacturers optical center. Not sure if they just can't comprehend or are trolling?
Yep. Once a scope is zeroed to a rifle and load, the erector will never be perfectly centered in any direction. They arent intended to be either.

The OP is wanting his scope to be zeroed windage wise perfectly in the center of his errector travel. It has nothing to do with his turrets and there is no fix to his non problem.

Have you ever zeroed a scope without making windage adjustments? That is basically what he is wanting to do. He doesnt understand that just switching between ammunition will require windage adjustments which means that what he is asking is almost impossible. He is ignotant when it comes to this subject. After this thread and lots of trigger time he wont be.

Show me where he said its mounted and zero'd. I agree with what you're saying, but he could have that stupid turret riding the "4" hash mark once zero'd with a windage adjustable base. Of course the errorctor will be offset one way or the other unless he's just get 1:100,000,00 lucky.

OP, if I misunderstood and you want the windage centered perfectly in the erector AND you want turret to ride on the 4 hash mark, like Wade said, it'll never happen.

U guys don't seem to understand. I can take the scope off the gun. This isn't a windage adj base problem, or rifle problem. It leaves the factory like this. Unmounted, this problem exists.

I can think of possible fixes at factory level.

My question though, was, is there an internal adj for this? I'll query NF.

Thanx for your troughts.

If I understand your point correctly you are complaining some one did not install the turret at the mechanical center...aka if it has 40 moa of total travel it should have 20 moa in each direction? LOL slip the turret and go shoot.....I'm out

Show me where he said its mounted and zero'd. I agree with what you're saying, but he could have that stupid turret riding the "4" hash mark once zero'd with a windage adjustable base. Of course the errorctor will be offset one way or the other unless he's just get 1:100,000,00 lucky.

OP, if I misunderstood and you want the windage centered perfectly in the erector AND you want turret to ride on the 4 hash mark, like Wade said, it'll never happen.

I assumed his problem is with the scope zeroed on a rifle. If it werent, he would simply find the mechanical center and slip the dial to 0. Non-existant problem solved until you mount it on a rifle and have to adjust for windage. Guess what. No longer in mechanical center whether the turret is slipped or not. OP has no problem. He just doesnt understand scopes.

U guys don't seem to understand. I can take the scope off the gun. This isn't a windage adj base problem, or rifle problem. It leaves the factory like this. Unmounted, this problem exists.

I can think of possible fixes at factory level.

My question though, was, is there an internal adj for this? I'll query NF.

Thanx for your troughts.
Your scope will never be in the center of the travel either in elevation or windage with the gun zeroed. This is normal. If you were to have everything perfect and centered mechanically, once you zero the rifle you will have to change It anyhow. This is normal.

If I understand your point correctly you are complaining some one did not install the turret at the mechanical center...aka if it has 40 moa of total travel it should have 20 moa in each direction? LOL slip the turret and go shoot.....I'm out

Exactly. You get it too.

@longshooter, pm me your phone number and we can speak on the phone that way I can help you understand your scope. That is if you want to.

Reactions: tnc
I can assure all that zero, zero, zero is attainable on an unmounted scope. That is to say zeroed erector, zero (4) tower, and zero knob. I just asked if there was an internal adj to get there.

I can assure all that zero, zero, zero is attainable on an unmounted scope. That is to say zeroed erector, zero (4) tower, and zero knob. I just asked if there was an internal adj to get there.
You do realize you can spin your turret until it is in the mechanical zero, loosen the turret, slip it to zero, and tighten the set screws back down. Of course that means nothing because as soon as you mount it you will have to do that shit all over again and once again you won’t be centered. I offered you help. Pm me your phone number and I will call you tomorrow.

I’m not posting in here anymore. Thread is yours.

The NF tower should be 3,2,1,0,1,2,3.

The knob zero should be at tower zero with centered erector.

Last edited:
My 5.5-22, when windage erector is at center of travel is on 33 moa windage knob hash mark, instead of 40 moa (hash mark center). Is there an internal adj to correct this?

Your scope has 60 MOA of total windage travel. If you're bottoming it out by turning the knob clockwise until it stops then backing it out half of the travel the knob should theoretically line up with the "3". Your complaint is stupid prima facie because in what fucking universe is 60/2 = 40?

If you don't get that who are you to lecture anyone about precision?

http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x50

Last edited:

As has been stated, what your asking for doesn't exist, in any brand that I know of. Besides being unnecessary, there probably isn't a way to move the errector cell internally that would be robust enough handle rifle fire.

Then sell it and buy something else that suits you. You seem to be the only one who cares about this.

Maybe Nightforce will hire you as CEO and you can turn them around?

Will each of u tell me at what various tower numbers ur scope(s) r zeroed. Do u have to memorize these numbers?

This windage reading fiasco can be solved with a solution so simple that you'll wonder why you didn't think of it .

2-F16029-C-0659-4889-8646-F7-B7-DFA1-A1-AE.jpg

Reactions: 308pirate