• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oal / ocw help!

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    I was working in measuring OAL in a couple different rifles that I have not measured before. One is a Ruger M77(257 Rob) the other is a savage 10fp(308)

The Ruger measured longer than what the book (Hornady) used for their testing, which I expected since I was touching the lands.

On to what confused me. The savage OAL measured shorter than what the hornady book used. The book shows an OAL of 2.800 for the 155 AMax. The measure I got for the OAL just touching the lands was in the neighborhood of 2.735. I happened to have a factory 155 AMax load and measured it and it was at 2.799 thus jamming the projectile into the lands.

The load I previously shot out of this rifle was a factory Hornady custom load with 150gr interlock soft points. They measured from about 2.720-2.733. As a side note the load shot sub MOA out to 300 yards.

Now the questions. Is this common when measuring OAL? Is it common to savages? Should I work up loads that are jammed that far into the lands? I've done a lot of reading and research on reloading and have never heard of this situation, granted I am far from being "all knowing"

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help.

Sierracharlie out....

Your not the first with savages short throat. Forgot where but there's a couple of thread about savages having a really short throat.

So after some more "extensive" research I've found the majority of short throat issues lately seem to be with LRPs bought within the last two years.

My rifle was manufactured in April of 2007. I don't know if I want to screw with replacing the barrel and so forth. Man this sucks…

Sierracharlie out....