• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OAL VS BTO question

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I have been reloading for a year now. Figured if I'm going to do this and put as much time in as I am, I want to make the most accurate rounds possible. Bought a Hornady OAL guage and a Hornady bullet comparator.

Loaded my first 50 or so rounds like this tonight and looked at the corner of my table where I had about 40 .223 rounds I loaded using 55gr SP using OAL method. I put them in my calipers with the comparator. After measuring all 40, my shortest was 1.834 and my longest was 1.839. all were in that range.

So here's my stupid question.
    Does this play a large role in the accuracy of groupings?

It could depending on the node. Some seating nodes are .003 wide some are .009 wide. If you're looking for half minute instead of one hole you might find a node .040 long. Lot of factors at play. I keep mine +/-.002 for match rounds bto.

So I have been reloading for a year now. Figured if I'm going to do this and put as much time in as I am, I want to make the most accurate rounds possible. Bought a Hornady OAL guage and a Hornady bullet comparator.

Loaded my first 50 or so rounds like this tonight and looked at the corner of my table where I had about 40 .223 rounds I loaded using 55gr SP using OAL method. I put them in my calipers with the comparator. After measuring all 40, my shortest was 1.834 and my longest was 1.839. all were in that range.

So here's my stupid question.
    Does this play a large role in the accuracy of groupings?
    Not at short range if you're only talking about COAL and just a little for longer distances. That much difference in CBTO might make a little difference depending where you're at in an accuracy node as there could be a difference in how deep into the case it's seated, which is where the big issue resides.

Reactions: RegionRat
    As a matter of curiosity, I would compare the BTO of the 40 to the new 50 and then compare the on target performance.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    As a matter of curiosity, I would compare the BTO of the 40 to the new 50 and then compare the on target performance.
    I'm around 1/2 moa shooter with my semi autos on a good day. Definitely going to start loading my ammo BTO, but I don't think I shoot well enough to notice. Maybe I will surprise myself.