• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

oal ? wtf

SS-8541-dono

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
missouri
had a buddy measure for my oal on my gap rifle using a sergoen action and he came up with a oal touching the rifling with a 175g smk at 2.150 measured from the ogive. this seems to be very short but he knows what he is doing and we measured it 3 times to check ourselves. when loading the rounds i would need to be at 2.148 wich seems to be very short? any info on this or any ideas would be great.

Re: oal ? wtf

Did he measure from the tip of the bullet or the ogive of the bullet?

Aron-

It means there is about .7" from the ogive to the bullet tip. What is wrong with that?

However, we need to know your friend's technique and tools used to know what your trying to express.

That doesn't seem that short...that will probably give you a max OAL somwhere around 2.880...I have a GAP and my max is around 2.890 running Berger 175s.

Load a round and see what the overall length is.

measured from the tip of the round to the base of the case is 2.750

measurment of when the bullet ogive contacts the lands and grooves was taken using a Hornady LNL OAL Gauge and Bullet Comparator tool set.

using the tool we came up with 2.150 measured from the ogive with an overal length of 2.750 from tip of round to base of case.

but why so short , shouldnt the rifle be a minimum of saami specs. i would think for better accuracy i would want to make the bullet longer from igive to base of case . a fggm 175 is 2.215 measrued from base of case to ogive?

so you only have .6 left from the ogive to the top of the bullet? i would have thought it would have been .7-.72 interesing. oh well.

Don't worry about it. It won't effect anything but being able to still mag feed as the barrel wears out. Measuring technique and tools will drastically alter your actual number.

GAP know what they be durin. They gave your throat room to grow. They gave you a longer barrel life.

"but why so short , shouldnt the rifle be a minimum of saami specs."

SAMMI only specs the minimum throat, there is no max throat/leade length. Many makers make the throat much longer than the minimum just to keep idiot reloaders from jamming bullets into the lands and raising pressures sky high. We live with it.

" would think for better accuracy i would want to make the bullet longer from igive to base of case "

Assume you refer to cartridge length, not "bullet longer"? Why would you think seating longer would, but that factor, improve accuracy? Seating "long", as such, is really meaningless; all that matters is the jump to the lands. With a long throat chamber we won't have the option of seating close.

Enjoy your rifle.

i dont think anyone here has any idea what i am talking about, can one of you reloading experts who happens to have a custom bolt gun please measure your oal length using a hornady oal guage and comparator or similar tool and please post it.

what i am tryuing to say is that when it is measured it comes out to be much SHORTER than minimum saami specs????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think anyone here has any idea what i am talking about, can one of you reloading experts who happens to have a custom bolt gun please measure your oal length using a hornady oal guage and comparator or similar tool and please post it.

what i am tryuing to say is that when it is measured it comes out to be much<span style="font-weight: bold"> SHORTER than minimum saami specs</span>???? </div></div>

There is no such thing as a SAAMI minimum OAL. SAAMI measurements are case dimensions and pressures, nothing more.

We actually do understand exactly what you are saying but you are not listening to what is said in reply. You have a custom rifle, ergo a custom chamber. Is it an M-852, 155 Palma, 110 varmint? It is obviously NOT a 118 LR or a chamber set up to handle 190's, or 210's. That your leade is a touch under SAAMI specs is (or should be) no concern now that you know where it is. Load up to, to jam, or to be off by, as much as you are inclined to do and enjoy your stick. You may have better success than others with a longer leade using slightly faster powders that do not fill up the case as much but in general it'll work fine.

Cheers,

Doc

If it bothers you so much and you want a longer leade then call GAP and send it back. They should have no problem doing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We actually do understand exactly what you are saying but you are not listening to what is said in reply. You have a custom rifle, ergo a custom chamber. Is it an M-852, 155 Palma, 110 varmint? It is obviously NOT a 118 LR or a chamber set up to handle 190's, or 210's. That your leade is a touch under SAAMI specs is (or should be) no concern now that you know where it is. Load up to, to jam, or to be off by, as much as you are inclined to do and enjoy your stick. You may have better success than others with a longer leade using slightly faster powders that do not fill up the case as much but in general it'll work fine.

Cheers,

Doc</div></div>

this.....................

dono-
are you the first owner or did you get this rifle second hand?

I ask because custom rifles are spec'd as part of the order. Most guys order a rifle do so saying, I want to shoot spitzer bullets from 155 scenar to 175 Amax. I want to feed from the mag so 2.82" aol length is max. I want a .02" jump/.000000001" jump/no jump/ grind them suckers into the rifling.

The riflesmith asks a few questions and then makes it to the agreed to specs.

So how was the rifle spec'd?