• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Obermeyer Barrels

areaone

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Illinois
Thinking of an Obermeyer barrell in 6.5. Any opinions on Obermeyer barrels compared to Brux, Kreiger, etc. Anyones experience with an Obermeyer barrell is greatly appreciated.

Re: Obermeyer Barrels

oby - had a couple. they rock!

I've also owned a couple, shot out one in 6.5x284 that was one of the most accurate barrels I've owned.
That being said the others you mention shoot good too.

I really like em I think they are as good as anything out there. Long wait times have been a problem in the past. Bugholes here on the hide stocks and sells them.

Barrett Obermeyer makes the best barrels in the world...
He trained guys like...Mike Rock,Jack Krieger,Dr.ian Gregory@Border barrels,and others...
He still competes and has forgotten more about shooting and building rifles than any man alive.
OMHO
bill larson

Bugholes is a great vendor to deal with. We are fortunate to have him stocking Obey barrels on a consistent basis. Before he started selling them people would place an order for an Obey barrel and it could take them YEARS to get one.

I`ve ordered barrels from Boots "O" at a Sunday rifle match and got it in the mail 7 days later.
true story not here say.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Barrett Obermeyer makes the best barrels in the world...
He trained guys like...Mike Rock,Jack Krieger,Dr.ian Gregory@Border barrels,and others...
He still competes and has forgotten more about shooting and building rifles than any man alive.
OMHO
bill larson </div></div>

He didn't train Krieger and or they never work together. They we're shooting buddies and talked about barrels etc...but never worked together. When Krieger was looking at getting into makeing barrels Boots told him where to go to get a rifler, reamer and drill. That would be about the extent of them working together. Most people because they we're always seen together at matches or shot on teams etc....have always assumed that they worked together is how I think that started.

John/Jack told me this himself when I worked at Krieger.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I had a hard time recently, choosing between a Rock Creek and an Obermeyer...ended up with the Rock Creek for no logical reason. Obermeyer has one of the best websites regarding barrel info. I'll also recommend Greg (Bugholes) @ SPR, who is barreling my action.

Recently put an Obermeyer 308 on a 40x repeater. It shoots < 1/2 moa to 600. The barrel never copper fouled from the first round. I have had other custom barrels as good but don't guess you can do better.

Kevin

I have an Obie on my 338 Edge and a 300WM. They are lights out impressive in the accuracy department. A couple fouling shots and a wet patch of oil thru the edge and it was shooting fist sized groups at 1100 yards easily.

I had a 300 mag with a 1-11 Oby , shot amazing
I've also had Bartelin , Kreiger , Rock Creek , Hart , PAC-nor , Brux and several others and I would wager to say if you took an Oby , Rock , and barteil all 5R rifled same twist and profile , chamber them all to the same action with the same reamer that you could not tell the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 300 mag with a 1-11 Oby , shot amazing
I've also had Bartelin , Kreiger , Rock Creek , Hart , PAC-nor , Brux and several others and I would wager to say if you took an Oby , Rock , and barteil all 5R rifled same twist and profile , chamber them all to the same action with the same reamer that you could not tell the difference. </div></div>

A very wise man.

As others have said, his barrels are tops. He was introduced to me as the "godfather" of barrel makers.

I have heard nothing but great things about them, however after shooting my Brux I will probably never go else where.

Any of the top names above will all shoot the same, extremely accurate.

Oh, and Bugholes is good to go. I got my Oby and Brux from him.