• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Obermeyr Chamber???

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I recently bought a custom built rifle based on a Remington 700 action with a Stainless Hart barrel. The spec sheet that came with the rifle states the chamber was cut with an Obermeyr Chamber reamer which it states means "the chamber is slightly smaller than a regular .308 chamber". I would contact the builder to find out what this means but I can't find any information on "Accra-Liance Sniper Systems". The rifle was built in 1993 for a Police Department that apparently never used it. Can anyone shed some light on what I'll need to change, if anything, in my reloading process to reload for this rifle?

Thanks in advance...
John

Re: Obermeyr Chamber???

Start with new brass and fireform it to your chamber. Then neck size or full length size just enough for the bolt to close easily. I had an Obermeyer chamber in a Hart 10 twist and it shot very well.

There have been 2 threads recently discussing this chamber in depth on the semi section of the site. Its a good chamber but very limiting for anything other than 168,175 and 190 Sierras. Its on old match chamber from the M14 days. It has a very short throat, and is basically set up for FGMM or the old M852 load. It has a 2.5 leade as opposed to the more common 1.5 leade.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2777936#Post2777936

Interesting read. Thanks. I didn't expect to see it in the Semi-Auto section. Figured it was a bolt gun chamber. Anyway, I've been fooling around with my brass to get it to fit nicely. I found that a small-base full length sizing die with the shoulders bumped back a little and brass trimmed to 2.010" works for mine. I'd have to question the "Military Match Ammo" fit. I have some M118 Lake City Match ammo and the bolt closes pretty tightly on it. More than I'm comfortable with. I don't know about FGMM.