• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oberndorf Mauser Trainer

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Just dug this Mauser sniper training rifle out.
    It’s really a time capsule. No mods, excellent bore, accurate.
    Think I’ll use it as an early season squirrel rifle.
    This is what they used when they set up the little villages to train snipers prior to and during WWII.
    Several companies made them but the Mauser Werke are generally the most highly regarded.
    EE1BB075-FBB8-4A4F-A0CC-C35BBCAC5F88.jpeg
    00E8BA6C-6C53-4F72-88CB-1A1DBC785C2B.jpeg
    3FC96F11-2D9E-4790-A90D-60938E2D9EA3.jpeg

i have a 1933 ob 98k all matching

my father searched for it 30 years ago like a maniac as a christmas gift for me

when you pick them up it just feel right

Reactions: RTH1800
    Very cool rifle. Is that pre-war? Basically a kids rifle that was supposed to prepare them for handling the KAR? Bought by good parents for their future little storm trooper?

That is a gorgeous. Look at the wood!

Love to know more about those.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    It is a full sized fairly heavy rifle. Actually used by military to train snipers with low cost ammo. I’ll post up photos of a book about them soon. Made about 1933.

They set up cool little villages with movers etc. love to have the entire village. One of the successful German snipers wrote about the training in his book. Sepp Allerberger?

The trainers were normally snipers who were wounded beyond being able to actually continue in the field.

Last edited:
    It is a full sized fairly heavy rifle. Actually used by military to train snipers with low cost ammo. I’ll post up photos of a book about them soon.
    They set up cool little villages with movers etc. love to have the entire village. One of the successful German snipers wrote about the training in his book. Sept Allerberger?

The trainers were normally snipers who were wounded beyond being able to actually continue in the field.
    I’d still like to rescue that giant mechanical target TorF posted in here years ago. Rusting away on a range in Norway.

But the mini village would be fun! A little snipertown… mechanically run.

Sirhr

Reactions: RTH1800
    It had trains, cars, church with bell tower etc.
    Typical German over engineering. Saw a photo of one once but cannot recall where.

Rifle has 27.5” med heavy barrel and weight is 8# 6 oz.
    Clearly not a kids rifle. Great trigger and the ranges marked on the sight are very close with Eley match ammo. Really kind of stunning. It’s in meters of course.

The sight is hand adjustable for windage and elevation. The larger, checkered detent button on the elevation slides and clicks into place at the meters marked on the slide. Quite precise and repeatable. The smaller button near the site blade is pushed and the blade moves R/L for windage. It is not so repeatable. I assume it was just for sighting in and then the windage was just in the hold. It will allow exact sighting.

Last edited: