• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OBR 7.62 and non-Larue Suppressors

Xferbuckeye

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2022
East
Couldn’t find quite what I’m trying to figure out in other forums or threads so I hope this isn’t redundant.

Anyone had luck taming a factory 7.62 OBR gas system w/port selector while running a non-Larue suppressor. If so what combination of parts helped?

Larue was no help when I called and just said it’s optimized for their suppressor which is quite spendy. I’m trying a heavybuffers 10oz buffer when it shows up, but if anyone else has had luck, all insight is appreciated. It’s misfeeding about 15% of the time with FGMM and a Larue mag.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Mine ran fine with a standard Colt rifle spring and H2 buffer with the 1st gen Surefire RC suppressor. This was a ‘09-10 OBR - pre-xtraction Lothar Walter barrel.

What suppressor?

If you buy the buffer from slash, you HAVE to use the $15 dollar 308 rifle spring he sells with it. Additionally you may not need the full 10oz, but start with it. If you run the heavy buffer with a extra power spring it will cause issues.

It will run fine with the heavy buffer when you are not running the can.

SiCo
What suppressor?

If you buy the buffer from slash, you HAVE to use the $15 dollar 308 rifle spring he sells with it. Additionally you may not need the full 10oz, but start with it. If you run the heavy buffer with a extra power spring it will cause issues.

It will run fine with the heavy buffer when you are not running the can.
SiCo Omega 300

Could replace the gas tube with Black River Tactical.

LaRue's rifle was designed with either his suppressor or older SureFire models in mind. When that rifle came out with his PST those were the two suppressors expected to be run and what he sold muzzle devices for. Also it's what some of the intended customers would be using.

Your only other option is to fuck around with buffer weights and springs. Or pony up for a low back pressure can. Removing the gas block on that barrel is a no go from what I understand. Removing LaRue's normal 3 screw low profile blocks is impossible as it is.

SiCo

SiCo Omega 300

Okay for sure use both products from slash. The 308 rifle spring and the 10 oz buffer.

Once you start shooting, you can pull weight from the slash buffer if you do not need all the mass. The larue bcg is 20oz, combined your running 30 oz where as I'm running 28.5 oz(tobr shooting 260 w/Dominus), with the XH 8.5 oz and the same rifle spring. It's works out the same way.

You can't really change gas tubes on these guns you'll open a can of worms. If you did that LaRue wouldn't warranty it.

Can the Omega run a vented front cap? eta: I looked it can run a vented cap, if you aren't using it you could also try that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
Okay for sure use both products from slash. The 308 rifle spring and the 10 oz buffer.

Once you start shooting, you can pull weight from the slash buffer if you do not need all the mass. The larue bcg is 20oz, combined your running 30 oz where as I'm running 28.5 oz(tobr shooting 260 w/Dominus), with the XH 8.5 oz and the same rifle spring. It's works out the same way.

You can't really change gas tubes on these guns you'll open a can of worms. If you did thatLaRue wouldn't warranty it.

Can the Omega run a vented front cap? eta: I looked it can run a vented cap, if you aren't using it you could also try that?
This is true.

Also, long time no see mettee. Used to chat you up for LaRue advice on barfcom lol.

Reactions: mettee

You can't really change gas tubes on these guns you'll open a can of worms. If you did that LaRue wouldn't warranty it.

Who sells a vented front cap that works with the omega 300? I am in the same boat as OP and am trying to figure out a solution.

I reached out to Black River Tactical to ask about their experience with an OBR as I figured I wasn’t the first guy to ask. Can’t get them to answer so if anyone knows a better way than their site to reach out to them let me know.

I’m curious about replacing the gas tube but cautious. If I get time and can pull it off, I’ll post some pics to see what’s going on and how it’s designed. There’s a weird plastic collet where the tube enters the gas block. Presumably it’s a seal of some kind.

As for the gas block it is definitely not replaceable. Larue explained there’s two ports in the barrel so nothing will replace the port selector.

I think mettee is on to something. Not sure that SiCo has a vented cap but that’s a commonality between the Larue and sure fire cans I believe. I don’t own them but think I’ve seen the vented cap on both. I’m running the brake that came with the Omega.

Appreciate all the insight Gents. I’ll try the 10oz buffer and report back. All the inputs is why the SH is so great!

The older surefire cans did not have vents. I have the 7.62 ss and ran fine on mine .. my buddy had 7.62 rc and his ran fine.. I got a .260 barrel and that is when everything quit working..
if you are going to get a .260 or 6.5cm barrel just go ahead and get the larue can.. it is heavy as hell... maybe not that quite.. but it just flat out runs with the gun. I got mine for 400 bucks when he was selling them cheap. .

but I will say I have not heard of anyone having problems in .308.

how about a JP silent capture spring ? you can get the different springs to change out . anyone play around with that ?

I reached out to Black River Tactical to ask about their experience with an OBR as I figured I wasn’t the first guy to ask. Can’t get them to answer so if anyone knows a better way than their site to reach out to them let me know.

I’m curious about replacing the gas tube but cautious. If I get time and can pull it off, I’ll post some pics to see what’s going on and how it’s designed. There’s a weird plastic collet where the tube enters the gas block. Presumably it’s a seal of some kind.

As for the gas block it is definitely not replaceable. Larue explained there’s two ports in the barrel so nothing will replace the port selector.

I think mettee is on to something. Not sure that SiCo has a vented cap but that’s a commonality between the Larue and sure fire cans I believe. I don’t own them but think I’ve seen the vented cap on both. I’m running the brake that came with the Omega.

Appreciate all the insight Gents. I’ll try the 10oz buffer and report back. All the inputs is why the SH is so great!

This is what in referring to:

silencerco-omega-300-blk-silencer-shop-central-texas-sized-vert-on-white.jpg

The ferrule you are describing is steel and it is swaged in with a tool.

If you could get the tube changed it would work, but to reduce the gas down to where you function with the tube, it won't run Un-suppressed because you won't have enough gas. If you are on the suppressed setting on the PST, then you add an additional restriction for proper function in the gas tube, you lose adjustment and that will be the default port size. Make sense?

Last edited:
If there is not an offering for a vented end cap.. you could try the largest bore they offer
Not a bad idea! After asking around a bit a few folks echoed your comment about their cans/guns. That apparently just freaking run.

I have a silent captured spring for but the bolt bottomed out when cycling pretty hard. I don’t have their spring pack so not sure if there’s an option there.

This is what in referring to:

View attachment 8345572
Yep. That’s it. ASR mount/brake on the barrel and brake on the can. Love that setup on everything else and they are a bargain for prices listed at the moment. The OBR just doesn’t like the back pressure from the Omega 300. The filth after a couple mags was surprising too. One mag was so dirty I had to bust it apart and clean it bc the follower would stick after 20 rounds.

The older surefire cans did not have vents. I have the 7.62 ss and ran fine on mine .. my buddy had 7.62 rc and his ran fine.. I got a .260 barrel and that is when everything quit working..
if you are going to get a .260 or 6.5cm barrel just go ahead and get the larue can.. it is heavy as hell... maybe not that quite.. but it just flat out runs with the gun. I got mine for 400 bucks when he was selling them cheap. .

but I will say I have not heard of anyone having problems in .308.

how about a JP silent capture spring ? you can get the different springs to change out . anyone play around with that ?

The JP SCS won't do the job. Everyone I see that has one has nothing but problems in configurations like this. The springs aren't correct and the weight can't exceed 5ish oz I believe.

Yep. That’s it. ASR mount/brake on the barrel and brake on the can. Love that setup on everything else and they are a bargain for prices listed at the moment. The OBR just doesn’t like the back pressure from the Omega 300. The filth after a couple mags was surprising too. One mag was so dirty I had to bust it apart and clean it bc the follower would stick after 20 rounds.

I can't imagine it has more back pressure than a tbac Dominus? Isn't there a backpressure chart some place.

The ultra 9 has more back pressure than the Omega, so I am betting the spring and buffer, using the LaRue suppressed setting should be fine.

Wanted to have a solid range report on the heavybuffers 10oz today. Put it together at the range and the bolt bottomed short of cycling a round which only means one thing... I missed a carbine spacer in the tube. I had to get home and under some shop lights to see the spacer despite looking in in the rifle buffer as it came from Larue - with an a2 stock on the rifle. I’ll give them credit for manufacturing tolerances. The spacer has an o ring and is crazy tight to the tube. Took a bit to get it all out, get the heavy buffer in, and not booger anything up. A little hurt pride but tomorrow’s another day.

What spring are you using?

Just a heads up. You can not use the spring in the gun with the heavy buffer.

Is this the buffer you purchased? Did you purchase the spring listed with the buffer? If not you will have additional issues.

Screenshot_20240211_121846_Chrome.jpg

What spring are you using?

Just a heads up. You can not use the spring in the gun with the heavy buffer.

Is this the buffer you purchased? Did you purchase the spring listed with the buffer? If not you will have additional issues.

View attachment 8346662
Yep. I got the new spring with the buffer in the screenshot
They do work well without any changes. I ran the mini on the 260 and the RC on the 308 OBR.

View attachment 8346663Stopped at a shop yesterday just to check out a bunch of different cans. The commonality between the sure fire and Larue cans seems that they create much less back pressure than most other suppressors. Also noticeable that cans specifically made for duty use have some type of front venting ability.
How bad is the gas coming back on you with that mini? I’m considering one for the OBR.

I think the mini was very manageable as far as gas goes. The gun did dirty up fairly quickly, I wont lie about that, but I was able to continue shooting...it never made the gun so dirty it would start having function issues inside of 100 rounds. If you go over 100, your are going to have to at least clean the chamber(suggestion) and add oil to the action.

The Mini shows pretty low on that list as far as back pressure, I think its the only reason it was functioning(stock spring and buffer).

I ran the Slash heavy buffer & spring with an Omega suppressor. It ran fine in both 308 and 260. I have since switched to a Larue suppressor as it was dirt cheap.

Attachments

• Sup6.jpg
    Sup6.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 32
  • LT260c.jpg
    LT260c.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 37
Appreciate that. I lived in an area I couldn’t get them when they were cheap and they aren’t cheap any more! Any difference in the carbon and filth buildup in the gun between the omega and the Larue can?

It's been a long time since I used the Omega. It is gassy on any rifle. Less back pressure with the Larue can for sure. My rifle seems to build up carbon on the muzzle device pretty bad with the Larue can. Can't remember if it was the same with the Omega or not but I suspect it was. Maybe something to do with my loads? Don't much care as it doesn't cause issues and it shoots well.
I soak the muzzle device in CLR and it nearly wipes clean. Just had to take the PST apart as it was nearly plugged solid with carbon and was causing cycling issues. That was a 1st for me.

Attached photo's were taken in 2018. I just cleaned it again a couple weeks ago along with the PST.
muzzle_before.jpg

muzzle_cleaning.jpg

muzzle_after.jpg

I have been using Surefire SOCOM 6" Mini on thisl 2012, 16" OBR with factory buffer, zero problems.

DSCN2736 copy 3.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
FWIW, one the goals of the Tranquilo was less backpressure and particulates into the shooter's face as so many of our warriors are now coming down with cancers possibly attributed to firing so many suppressed rounds while breathing in the crud.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I had some issues with my 16" tOBR and my Hybrid 46 can.

Rifle appears to have a SpringCo red spring and H2 buffer. Assuming that was installed by LT?

Anyhow, @mettee was helping me over on ARF with it, but I need to do some more testing with some M80.

Shooting AAC 150gr black tip (Sabre Blade) ammo with the PST set to unsuppressed - rifle runs like a top. Switching to "suppressed" caused failures to feed (round was jammed up inside the upper) or stovepipes.

Hybrid 46 is mounted to an ASR brake mount, and I'm running the .46 front cap (I don't bother changing the cap as this can is shared between .22LR, .223/5.56, .38/357, 9mm, 45ACP, .308, 6.5CM, and .450BM hosts)....

I have a 20 inch OBR in 308, it is a 2010 model. I run a Sandman S with the dead air muzzle brake, and it does fine in the suppressed setting on the gas block. If anything it might be still be slightly over gassed. Have not changed anything with the buffer or springs, it is all the way it come from LaRue. Mine likes the Berger 175 OTM, and the lake city service grade 175 SMK's really well. It shoots the 175 ELDX's good and the FGMM 175 good as well. However the Berger is it favorite. Never had any issues with the rifle so far. Everything but the lake city ejects between 2 and 3 o'clock, the lake city ammo ejects in a tiny pile at 2 o'clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: muad
I got my LaRue after seeing service members Giannelli & Homery win the 2010 International Sniper Competition, hosted @ Fort Benning, GA
Home to Army Sniper School.

SFC Giannelli -spotter (16" OBR) & SGT Homeyer -shooter (20" OBR) Team
8 out of 10 first round hits @ 500-1000M
With the 16" OBR " getting 12" plate hits consistently @ 800 meters"
"OBR much more accurate than SR25 & SAS".
"OBR shooting 0.5 MOA groups"

A personal account of the 2010 International Sniper Competition from SFC Edward Homeyer, winner of the Service Class, along with his partner Chance Gianelli
Originally I was going to spot for Chance, but earlier in July while training at Accuracy 1st, we discovered that we work a little better with Chance calling winds and me shooting.
Around mid September Chance got a hold of our committees 16″ Larue Tactical OBR with a 5-25×50 Horus Falcon with a H37 reticle. He zeroed it, trued using the ATrag software and immediately started getting hits on 12″ plates out beyond 850 meters. I was going to originally shoot my M24 with my Falcon. But four days before the comp I got my hands on a 20″ Larue Tactical OBR.

Two days before the comp I received my scope. It was a Nightforce first focal plane 3.5-15×50 with a Horus Vision H58 reticle in it. I put it on my gun and went to zero. After my initial group I went to make my adjustment. That’s when I realized that one of the zero stop screws had broken off in the scope. With the elevation cap off I used a screwdriver and some elbow grease to turn the knob and zero my crosshairs at 100 meters. It was almost dark when I finished that.

The next day Chance and I went out and trued at 900 meters in a 12″ plate. I shot a few intermediate range targets to ensure the data matched. That night I got my zero shift with my PVS 26 at 100, 200 and 400 meters. My night vision zero shift was Left .2 mils. That was what I fired less than 35 rounds through a gun I never touched before and we used it to win overall at the International Sniper Comp. It is a testament to Horus Vision, the ATrag, and the Horus reticle.

My 16" LaRue OBR @ 900 meters.

Giannelli Homeyer 2010 International Sniper Competition Winners LaRue OBR copy.jpg
DSCN2793a copy.jpg

So, I wanted to update the thread after shooting some Fed XM80 out of the tOBR today.

With my Hybrid 46 installed and the PST set to suppressed - 100% function with brass at the 3-4 o'clock position. I only shot 20 rounds, but when I was having the issue the other day it was instantaneous. Every shot caused a failure.

This tells me the issue was the AAC ammo not being loaded as "hot" as milspec 7.62x51. I'll be testing with some more factory loads when time allows.

So, I wanted to update the thread after shooting some Fed XM80 out of the tOBR today.

With my Hybrid 46 installed and the PST set to suppressed - 100% function with brass at the 3-4 o'clock position. I only shot 20 rounds, but when I was having the issue the other day it was instantaneous. Every shot caused a failure.

This tells me the issue was the AAC ammo not being loaded as "hot" as milspec 7.62x51. I'll be testing with some more factory loads when time allows.
I was under the impression you where shooting FGMM.. If you would have said AAC ammo in the first post. most people would have said it was an ammo problem lol

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I had some issues with my 16" tOBR and my Hybrid 46 can.

Rifle appears to have a SpringCo red spring and H2 buffer. Assuming that was installed by LT?

Anyhow, @mettee was helping me over on ARF with it, but I need to do some more testing with some M80.

Shooting AAC 150gr black tip (Sabre Blade) ammo with the PST set to unsuppressed - rifle runs like a top. Switching to "suppressed" caused failures to feed (round was jammed up inside the upper) or stovepipes.

Hybrid 46 is mounted to an ASR brake mount, and I'm running the .46 front cap (I don't bother changing the cap as this can is shared between .22LR, .223/5.56, .38/357, 9mm, 45ACP, .308, 6.5CM, and .450BM hosts)....
Your failure description perfectly matches what’s happening with mine and +1 on the factory installed red spring and H2 buffer. I haven’t had the chance to try the heavybuffers 10oz rifle buffer yet but will post results as soon as I can get out for some trigger therapy.

Your failure description perfectly matches what’s happening with mine and +1 on the factory installed red spring and H2 buffer. I haven’t had the chance to try the heavybuffers 10oz rifle buffer yet but will post results as soon as I can get out for some trigger therapy.

Mine ended up being the AAC ammo I was shooting. With milspec XM80 it was fine.

I plan to test with FGMM and some others next range trip.

Got to put the heavybuffers 10oz rifle buffer through its paces today and it worked. Noticeably slower cycling. The brass is hitting the deflector but just barely. It cycled reliably for 100 rds but the bolt wouldn’t lock back on an empty mag. Not sure if it had to do with the big buffer or not bit I’ll sort it out later.
Forgot how much fun the OBR is to shoot and how accurate they are.

Thanks for all the insight Gents. Appreciate it.

Try lowering it to around the 8 oz mark, check with Slash on that but it shouldn't be an issue as long as the body itself isn't more than 8oz.