• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OBR - scope mount /stock optimization?

zenghost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2008
NE Ohio
I am looking at an OBR for use specifically in the precision rifle role (the LMT MWS still lurks as a contender). My scope will be a S&B 4-16x42. My understanding is the OBR's 20 MOA rail's added height can present some challenges for the shooter to obtain a decent cheek weld. I would like to use a Magpul ACS or UBR stock on this rifle. However, most of the detachable scope mounts I have seen place the optic's centerline around 1.5" high from the rail. My understanding is this 1.5" height is standard for a rail that is typical height (like the LMT MWS rail for example), not a raised rail like that on the OBR.

Should I be looking for a mount that lowers the optic's centerline to prevent me from having to move that much higher with my cheek weld to obtain a good sight picture?

I know there are a couple options for heights around 1.1-1.2" (ADM or Spuhr come to mind). Using standard scope rings is also a way to achieve this (some would say the best way I gather).

Quick detach and BUIS capability would be nice, but not an absolute requirement for this rifle.

I know the PRS stock is an option, but I would like to be able to collapse the stock. I am also concerned that the PRS would be more limiting in allowing the shooter to adjust cheek weld for eye relief. My experience is very limited with this (some prior bolt action experience), so I realize I could be entirely mistaken.

The CTR/RISR combo is not something I am interested in using. If the PRS is the best option, so be it.

Any helpful input from anyone is appreciated.

Re: OBR - scope mount /stock optimization?

Checked those out but they have the built-in cant and I need something with 0 MOA because the OBR already has 20 MOA built into its top rail.

I see ADM has a Recon-SL at 1.19" for a 34mm tube, which might work, though it would preclude the use of BUIS (not a big deal really). I can't go much lower than that really, maybe 1.125" rings from Badger.

I sent an e-mail to Larue tech support to see what they suggest for my application. Since it's their gun, I'd hope this will be much more apparent to them. Especially when it comes to the whole stock issue. Want that OBR if possible.

Why not get the Lt-111 thats made for the OBR?

Nevermind just saw that it puts it 1.5 over the rail and your looking for something lower.

I just used rings on my OBR to get the correct cheekweld. I wish they never did that sloped rail, I get plenty of elevation with my scopes. Their Predator .308 has no slope BTW

I was in the same boat, could'nt get comfortable with the CTR/RISR combo, and ditched both and went with the VLTOR E-MOD. Much better cheekweld for me, but the ACS is a good choice too. Did'nt want to go the PRS route either, due to adding a significant amount of weight and balance issues with the 16" barrel. I decided on non-QD 1.025" height rings, but am running a 2.5-10x32mm NF. You will need to go a bit higher than that to clear your larger objective and butler creek caps. Am also running the Dueck Defense Rapid transition 45 degree offset sights, which eliminates the need for a QD optic mount. Hope this helps, shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

I have 2 OBRs, both in 5.56 (10 moa rail). In both cases, I use the SPR 1.5 mount. I use an emod for one and a ubr for the other (emod for the 16", UBR for the 18"), both are comfortable and work very well. I have no xp with the .308 obr, but I suspect either of the aforementioned stocks will work well, unless the intended purpose is long range precision shooting (>600 yards). In short, If this is a target/range weapon, get whatever stock helps you shoot better (If this is a range baby, weight/bulk shouldn't matter much).