• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OBR...she is a shooter!

K_4c

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I started off rolling 168 AMAX's, SMK and Berger VLD's over 42.0-44.0 in .5 grain increments of Varget....
    ws670w.jpg

I set up shop on a cold/windy day.... 200 meters to target.
    20z4qq8.jpg

2iqfmrn.jpg

The results... She likes 168 SMK's over 43.0 grain of varget pushed at 2520 fps.
    My TBAC 30-BA is on order to round out this capable piece of kit.
    2aje2oo.jpg

161478.jpg

Gotta love it when a plan comes together...

Re: OBR...she is a shooter!

Thanks guys. Highly recommend an OBR to all those on the fence in the semi market....

Barrel: 20" 1/11.25 twist, LW50 Stainless

I have a 16" OBR and have to agree it's a nice shooter.

I'd say around 15 pounds give or take a pound as seen... Barrel is thick under the hand guard and then .750" gas block on....

NICE shooting! what kind of ES were you getting with them loads? I will be working some loads for a AR soon. Since you obviously did somthing right. My last attempt seemed like lower charges of varget did not yeild good ES. Was wondering if you had the same experiance.

Looks good, I'm currently working up a 168gr SMK load for my barrel. Almost identical to yours. I'm sure the chambers are different but I'm curious to know how well your gun would shoot with this factory ammo.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FEA76251M1ABX-1.html

If you can find some of that, give it a try. Might make a sold factory option for you. This stuff is producing groups .5 - .75 MOA at 100yds from a 20" SS 1x11.25 barrel.

My ES was 33 fps 43.0 of varget and as you stated 42.0 grains was worse (60+)... I hope to tighten it up a little more. I'm not to concerned when it shoots like that. I'm rolling up some 175 smk and 178 amax next... Will see how those print.

Thanks again for the kind words gents...

Very nice. In my opinion you just purchased the finest semi-auto on the market. I absolutely love mine.

I've shot my fair share of those OTM/M1A....You had a chance to chrono that? I have.... with very poor results (ES of more then a hundred!). Good plinking ammo but I'll stick with my reloads for everything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. In my opinion you just purchased the finest semi-auto on the market. I absolutely love mine. </div></div>

I've owned a few AR-10 based platforms (Lmt mws, LWRC REPR and now my OBR)... My OBR will be staying with me for awhile. Great semi to say the least.

Has anyone compared the OBR to LaRue's Predatar in 7.62? I like the idea of a lighter rifle since I'll be using mainly for hunting, but what I'm I giving up by going with the lighter rifle?

Sorry.....I wasn't trying to suggest the M1A ammo as being "good" or "better" than a hand load. I was just curious how it shot out of your particular barrel because I was a little surprised at how it grouped with ours.

You say you want to try SMK 175gr. Again, not suggesting, but 43.5 gr Varget is grouping very well for me. In fact, I'll be using that recipe for a match coming up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planosnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone compared the OBR to LaRue's Predatar in 7.62? I like the idea of a lighter rifle since I'll be using mainly for hunting, but what I'm I giving up by going with the lighter rifle? </div></div>

The barrel profile from the OBR is heavier than the one on the PredatAR is one of the biggest differences. Their are also differences in the rail system as well as some of the internals. Their is a great explanation of the differences on their website in the description of both guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaximumVelocity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry.....I wasn't trying to suggest the M1A ammo as being "good" or "better" than a hand load. I was just curious how it shot out of your particular barrel because I was a little surprised at how it grouped with ours.

You say you want to try SMK 175gr. Again, not suggesting, but 43.5 gr Varget is grouping very well for me. In fact, I'll be using that recipe for a match coming up. </div></div>

Next time I go out I'll put a string down and see how they shoot and get back to you sir. I'll probably start with 41.0 grains and climb the ladder up to 43.5 of varget... I also have some IMR 3130 that I may try as well.... And then I'll start rolling some subs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planosnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone compared the OBR to LaRue's Predatar in 7.62? I like the idea of a lighter rifle since I'll be using mainly for hunting, but what I'm I giving up by going with the lighter rifle? </div></div>

The barrel profile from the OBR is heavier than the one on the PredatAR is one of the biggest differences. Their are also differences in the rail system as well as some of the internals. Their is a great explanation of the differences on their website in the description of both guns.</div></div>

I know about the differences in weight, barrel diameter, and rail setup; what I really wanted to know was how different they shoot. Is the OBR more accurate and how does the recoil compare.

Looking real good k4c, I can't wait to take it for a test drive and see how my groups compare to yours.

I'm sure I won't be able to shoot an AR as good as you......maybe you can give me a few tips.......lol

Who could say?.... But I'd feel pretty shitty to see someone else drive my rifle better than me (j/k)!

Looking forward to it brother.

Nice. I love to see a rifle meet or exceed a man's expectations!

Awesome. I hope to own one. Looking forward to seeing results with he 175s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow thats very good grouping! What did your best group measure to at 200 meters? </div></div>

.512" (used my digital calipers) 5 shot group @ 200m. I stuck that group to my reloading bench.... Worst group that day was with 42.0 grains of varget and Berger 168 VLD's@ 1.5" Pretty sure those need to be loaded to the lands.

I have been having similar results. I couldnt be happier. Mine is 18" and prefers 44 gr varget uner 168 gr smks.

Here are some groups, all are 100 yrs except the one labled 400, and yes I know some are 3 shot groups, please dont hate
    smile.gif

group sizes were taken out on the range and are wrong, more like .5 and .76, again please... dont hate.

49915cfb.jpg

60c837a6.jpg

e14db754.jpg

eab8f68d.jpg

Any pressure signs with 44.0 grains of varget? You tried any other powders?

Great shooting sir. Glad your OBR is a hammer.

Damn good shooting. Its always a good feeling when an expensive tool lives up to your expectations.

A buddy of mine owns an OBR and it's boringly accurate. Interested to see how the Predatobr compares.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pressure signs with 44.0 grains of varget? You tried any other powders?

Great shooting sir. Glad your OBR is a hammer. </div></div>

Very slight pressure with 44 grains but no problems. Slightly flattened primers. Amaxes shoot very well and to the same point of impact with this load also.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RustyTrumble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pressure signs with 44.0 grains of varget? You tried any other powders?

Very slight pressure with 44 grains but no problems. Slightly flattened primers. Amaxes shoot very well and to the same point of impact with this load also.

Thanks </div></div>

What are you getting on the chrono with the said load?

I've had the same results with 44gr Varget. I loaded up some 44.5gr Varget also. The pressure signs did increase a bit but not to what I feel is a dangerous level. It was a 3/4 MOA 5 shot group at 100yds. I loaded up some more to test this weekend.

On you inquiry of using another powder, I have also tried 41gr, 42gr and 42.5gr of H4895. Pressure was decent and slight but the load needs more development. I saw the best results with the minimum load (41gr) and (42.5). But as I said, this needs more development but showing some promise.

No pics of the groups and I do not have a chrono for velocity testing.

I may try some CFE 223 next as well (see how clean it burns and what velocities it yields). I'd like to get into mid 2500's with 168's.

Thanks for the load info guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RustyTrumble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pressure signs with 44.0 grains of varget? You tried any other powders?

Thanks </div></div>

What are you getting on the chrono with the said load? </div></div>

Right around 2500 fps

I'd already posted in the reloading forum, but the 18 inch 7.62 OBR I'm using turns in nice groups with 41.5 IMR 8208 with 168 Nosler Custom Competitions.

Not sure of the velocity, but five shot groups are consistently touching at 100 when the nut driving the rifle does his part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rowrd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd already posted in the reloading forum, but the 18 inch 7.62 OBR I'm using turns in nice groups with 41.5 IMR 8208 with 168 Nosler Custom Competitions.

Not sure of the velocity, but five shot groups are consistently touching at 100 when the nut driving the rifle does his part. </div></div>

Wish I had more feedback with chrono info... I need to find a load that'll put me in the mid 2500's consistently... Varget shot well but seemed a bit inconsistent through my chrono (which my be the problem). How does IMR 8208 meter?

I wish I could tell you what velocities I'm getting, but I don't a chronograph. Maybe I should change that.

The 8208 meters easily and consistently through a Chargemaster, using Dar's instructions to decrease the throw time.

I've also run some 175SMK over 42.0 grs of Varget and got some great groups, and some not so great groups...kinda inconsistent.

And I'm not sure why, but in a 168 weight, Noslers seem to perform better than the Sierras, even though the Noslers seat inconsistently. That applies to the OBR and an AWP.

Update:
    I loaded some 175 SMK's over 45.5 grains of CFE223.... This stuff is great! My other pet load (43.5 grains of varget) performed well but the muzzle velocity was not nearly as consistent as CFE223 with roughly a 30 fps extreme spread.

My chrono data as follows:
    2668 fps
    2666 fps
    2674 fps
    2659 fps
    2664 fps

The results: The IPSC target on the left was placed at 400 meters and the target to the right found a home at 600 meters... I would've liked to push it to 800 but the mirage kicked my ass.
    9qd9o8.jpg

345kiur.jpg

28ai1z7.jpg

And I threw a pic of my LWRC m6a3 MRE.... Just because.
    34xfecj.jpg

Have you tried a ladder test with the OBR? Should find several accuracy nodes that way, not that .5" groups at 200m would hurt my feelings.

Mmm, nothing brightens the scenery like a little MRE! Is that a tbac mount on it already?

Haha.... Why yes it is sir.... All three of my center fires will be sporting this fine brake/QD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRPF52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried a ladder test with the OBR? Should find several accuracy nodes that way, not that .5" groups at 200m would hurt my feelings. </div></div>

Yes I have sir.....
    Varget:43.0-43.6 grains shot all within 1.5" with minimal vertical strings....

CFE223: just getting into this powder but I found it to be very consistent. I did notice that while dropping powder charges it almost clung to the sides of everything it touched (almost like static electricity and packing peanuts...) it did shoot cleaner then any other powder I've used so far.

nice, I just called Larue this week about an OBR and they said it would be a 16 week lead time :|

curious if you had a similar lead time quote and if it was accurate.Thanks for the post, I'm getting on the list Monday

Nope I traded a Barrett m99 for this semi.... It's worth the wait buddy.