• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Observation and Ranging Upgrade

chzhd

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Oct 29, 2018
    Mo
    I am looking at upgrading my observation optic and LRF. I currently have the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 w/ TMR reticle and the original Sig Kilo2000 LRF.

I was happy with the Kilo2000 what my ranging requirements were <600m. Beyond that, it is difficult to reliably get an accurate range. Over the last year I have been able to stretch my legs out past 1000m and really struggle to get good range info from the Kilo2000.

As for the Mark 4, I really like it and it has been very reliable when spotting on the range. However, when spotting for extended periods of time, using a spotting scope seems to strain me eyes more than using binos. Also, I like taking the spotting scope while hiking but would prefer binos for that.

I'd like to get a set of binoculars for observation and I have been looking at the Terrapin X for the LRF. I have also looked at some of the LRF binoculars out there. I am curious what opinions are out there with regard to ranging ability of the Terrapin X compared to the LRF Binos. I don't mind having separate devices. One thing I do like about spotting with the Mark 4 is having the reticle. However, lately when spotting and needing a reticle, I have just used my rifle scope (NF ATACR 7-35 w/ Mil-XT).

LRF Binos I am considering are the Vortex Fury HD and the Sig Kilo3000BDX

You cant beat a PLRF for ranging and size.
    Steiner binos have become my favorite. just make sure not to get the LPF coated ones because it dims the image a bit.