• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

observations of San Antonio & USAF

Super-X

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Calif
Just got back from San Antonio & Lackland AFB for my son's graduation from basic. This was my first "fist hand" experience with a military town and an AF base. What an experience, the other grads, parents & families were nothing short of great. Even walking down on the river walk, the local residents congratulated my son one after the other. We had a real good time with my son on the two afternoons of his town pass. We stopped in to a small USO place downtown and talked with an older flyer who was visably moved to learn what my son was signed up for.
He will stay at Lackland two more months for basic aviation then on to Washington state for SERE training.
He graduated an Honor Grad and #2 overall out of 700+. He is signed up for aerial gunner on the HH60 for the 129th ANG rescue wing at Moffet in Calif. We are real proud of him and his decision to serve.
Thanks for reading, TM

Re: observations of San Antonio & USAF

He's going to be a gunner on a UH60?
Working aircrew member or is he a para rescue guy?

The more SERE training the better. Its a great course but I went to a different one then he will go to. If he can he might want to see if he can get the Army Sere Level C course.

I've been in that USO at San Antonio. Great place!

Congrats to him!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The more SERE training the better. Its a great course but I went to a different one then he will go to. If he can he might want to see if he can get the Army Sere Level C course.

</div></div>

Luckily if he makes it to the RTL at Mackall, he'll find out "The Bearded One" has retired several years ago....
grin.gif

When you get there you'll be
eek.gif
, after a day you'll be
cry.gif
, and when it's all done you'll be
crazy.gif
, and the night you get back to Bragg and go out for your first "big" meal you'll be all
cool.gif
, and feeling proud.

Best course in the Army.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's going to be a gunner on a UH60?
Working aircrew member or is he a para rescue guy?
I've been in that USO at San Antonio. Great place!
Congrats to him!! </div></div>

I think The Air Force calls them HH60 Pavehawks.... But like I said, I'm quite new to all of this and have all of four days experience!

Yes, the AF version is the HH-60 Pavehawk. Aerial Gunners are their own career field and are Aircrew.
All SERE C courses are alike with the exception that once your "friends" find out what your job is... you get treated appropriately.
wink.gif

Are there any gear or hardware items he may need for SERE ?
Can he use items I send him ? We did get him a good watch this week end, Reactor Trident in black/black w/ stainless band. Smaller but more weight than Luminox.

Any input would appreciated, TM

Unless things are different in the USAF or since I went through but you are allowed ZERO personal items at all. In fact, we had to change our entire clothes and wear the stuff they gave us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless things are different in the USAF or since I went through but you are allowed ZERO personal items at all. In fact, we had to change our entire clothes and wear the stuff they gave us. </div></div>

You guys are great... good to know. Learning as I go here.