• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Occasional Failure to Return to Battery with Supressor

Colorado S14

Pushing the Limits of Spontaneous Combustion
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Denver, CO
www.youtube.com
Howdy gang. Trying to determine best course of action for my gun. I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 that I purchased as a catch-all can. Use it with adapters on a Subsonic 300BLK AR, plan to snag a threaded lever gun at some point, and am slowly adding threaded barrels here and there to pistols. So far the only threaded pistol I have is a P80.

The gun shoots great, if a little snappy, and has been reliable. When I throw the can on it however it will fail to return fully to battery (stops just a millimeter or two short) once or twice per magazine. Given the snappiness and this issue my initial inclination is to go up one step in recoil spring weight, but I wanted to poll the group first to see if there are other things I should consider.

P80.jpg

Give it a little more gas, you might be short stroking but not enough that it's not grabbing the next round.
Dumb question here, but how does one give a pistol like that more gas? The spring option makes sense to me.

Reactions: Colorado S14
I have the same issue with my VP9 with Octane 45HD. Jams about every 2 rounds.

It has been suggested to me to try heavier ammo (have tried only up to 124 grain so far), however I haven't acquired heavier grain ammo to continue the experiment (yet).

So perhaps try heavier grain ammo. Bonus (if it's a 9mm) is that it will potentially also be quieter. This is the easiest solution that requires no modifications, if it works.

I have the same issue with my VP9 with Octane 45HD. Jams about every 2 rounds.

It has been suggested to me to try heavier ammo (have tried only up to 124 grain so far), however I haven't acquired heavier grain ammo to continue the experiment (yet).

So perhaps try heavier grain ammo. Bonus (if it's a 9mm) is that it will potentially also be quieter. This is the easiest solution that requires no modifications, if it works.

Increasing spring weight will be more reliable 💯

Reactions: kthomas
I saw the title and thought "I bet he's got a 80% kluge". Was not disappointed.

Seriously, the best answer you could get here is - go buy an actual Glock, put that same barrel in it, and it'll run without issue.

Your problem is a mismatched combination of aftermarket parts from different manufacturers, all stuffed into a frame with known parts alignment issues, and it probably is on the ragged edge of working correctly even without the suppressor. That's why a P80 "build" is a toy only, not a serious pistol to depend on.

Reactions: jb0311 and st1650