• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Oceania Defense

I am aware of import regulations concerning suppressors. Just curious if any one has experience with Oceania Defense suppressors.

Won't be much on here, there's a handful of NZ guys that hang out on this forum. Unless they pipe up, you're probably not going to be getting any feedback.

Perhaps try an NZ based forum, where the majority of users have the ability to get their hands on one.

I don't own one, but have shot a couple.

They are 3D printed from titanium. Being printed, they are essentially one piece. They are stupidly lightweight.

They have a very good reputation in NZ, but are three times the price of other locally made supressors, which is the main reason I've never brought one.

I'm considering one for a suppressed Glock 17 because they make a model where the main body of the suppressor is below the bore line, out of the line of the sights.

I have a few - one that was AR-specific (before those were stolen from us last year) which is now in search of a new host rifle, a 33LM ratchet-lock model, and a light direct-thread model for hunting, as well as a ratchet-lock model, for longer strings of fire, currently on order.

They're spendy (about NZ$1000 / US$660 for 556 and 762 models, and NZ$1500-1700 / US$995-1125 for the 338 models), but amazing.

Oceania Defence not only do titanium, but also Iconel. They're nitrided to provide a yield strength of about 1000 MPA, depending on the model.

They have both direct-thread and ratchet-locking models that mate to a muzzlebrake or a spiral shaped brake/flashider design.

The NZ hunting magazine Rod & Rifle did a fairly extensive test of suppressors available on the NZ market in their Oct/Nov 2017 issue, which is worth tracking down whether you're in NZ or elsewhere - while most manufacturers' models might not be available outside of NZ, the data provides some interesting baselines to compare designs in other countries. (Their website is www.rodandrifle.co.nz)

For example, the Oceania Defense Alpine Hunter used in the test weighed just 155 grams / 5.47 oz, yet provided 24.38 dB reduction (the current Alpine Hunter in 762 weighs 165 gr / 5.82 oz.) This was the best weight to dB reduction out of 31 models tested.

Folks here would more likely be interested in the ratchet-lock models, which are rated for more sustained rates of fire. In the magazine's test, the OD Ratchet Lock model tested weighed just 250 grams / 8.82 oz, yet had a dB reduction of 29.4 ... most of the comparison models that had a similar dB reduction weighed significantly more.

Oceania Defense's website says they're exploring options of their cans being available in the US.

Overall, the price is hard to justify ... my take is that they shine in backpack hunting for pack weight reduction; defensive carbine for keeping the muzzle light for fast transitions; and competition or DM/S use that requires a lot of field carrying.

For bench-based, or more static comps, then there are options that provide about 70-100% of the functionality for perhaps 50-70% of the cost, but for 30-100% more weight (these are rough figures, and depends what you're looking for, of course).

The website is worth a read just to get a sense for the design, testing, and results ... they're definitely doing cutting-edge stuff.

No problem. See how you go in getting them to mail you that back copy ... if they're out of stock, PM me and I'll see if I can scan the article and post it here.

And do check out OD's website - lots of technical info there - as well as their YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFndmhBGohGcpl74Wk6IIlQ/videos

The videos there are usually just straight demos and tests - no hype or hoopla, and sometimes not even commentary. Kinda refreshing in a way.

I have the article about the suppressors in pdf somewhere. PM me and I'll take a look and send it to you I'm NZ based as well. Not much info on Oceania defense, but legislation wise I know a bit.

Hey I'm in New Zealand and these suppressors really are the "buy once, cry once" gear. I was a bit dubious at what I thought was a ridiculous price compared to others untill I met someone with one and seen in action. Everything else is shit after using one.
They are the shizz, they suppress sound really well for such a tiny thing but what they also do is give your rifles balance back. When you start hanging a can on the end of a rifle, especially a long bolt gun you can lose balance of rifle for shooting in unsupported positions.
I initially had the 556 Samson on my Ar's before Govt ban, my ideal hunting rig was on a 16" Daniel Defense LW.
I sold off my other suppressors and now have 556 Samson, m14 thread 30 cal Alpine hunter and a 30 cal 5/8 × 24 ratchet lock. I use the 556 on my 22.250 now and the others on 6.5 creed, 270, 308, 223 etc.... You can put the ratchet lock brake on any rifle then you just pop suppressor on.
I mean the Samson is worth more than the Ruger American 22.250 rifle, but hey great combo that works, barrel chopped to 19", smash steel @ 600m and neck shoot dear @350m.
I think the Brits SAS and a few others might be using them, if not a number of SF worldwide definitely did trials with them. Maybe also some special models that you added some gel to inside somehow?

Won't be much on here, there's a handful of NZ guys that hang out on this forum. Unless they pipe up, you're probably not going to be getting any feedback.

Perhaps try an NZ based forum, where the majority of users have the ability to get their hands on one.
High there guys I own a OCD can with 3 rachet type brakes , I run my can on 308 DTA 6.5 DTA and my 6.5 Begara BMP , can and brake is around 230 grams 215 mm in length.
Suppression is impressive for its diminutive girth and length, field testing was undertaken over here against around 20 odd other cans , the OCD surpassed the opposition in every respect apart from pricing .
I shoot a lot,my can has been used on my DPMS GEN2 308, aero defence AR15 and DTA SRS ,
Love the rachet lock and my POI shift is minimal 12 mm vertical shift at 90m.

Reactions: kthomas
I have a inconnel model, wish I bought the Ti version. Although the suppression is brilliant and I believe made better by the material density.