• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

October 30th Texas Match

175G

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2005
Dallas
So I decided I would at least try to shoot a match. The one this weekend seemed like a good option because it was one I could get to easily, etc. I was signed up sometime ago and asked them what we would be shooting etc and basically it came down to you can shoot any position you want but no mechanical benchrests and we will tell you what we are shooting on the day of the match.

Good deal I think. Fill out the application, pay, make plans, all set to go. So today I get there and I am extremely nervous because I know Im not a great shooter and have never shot a match but I figure I'll do my best.

As I walk out from between all the parked trucks into view of the range two things occur to me. 1) This is one of those times when you don't realize something was a very bad idea until you are already into it and 2) Any nervousness has completely evaporated. Why? Well a picture is worth a thousand words. I should mention at this point that I have never shot benchrest except when checking zero, nor did I have anything to do it with if I wanted to. I realize I have most likely brought a knife to a gun fight so to hell with it pressure is off Im gonna get slaughtered anyway.

Everyone has uber guns in .243 and 6.5. No one is shooting a mag-fed weapon. Heck they even have nice leather holsters for their bolts. I am severely outclassed.

Ok so we are shooting 2.3" clay targets at 500 yards. Got it. The main topic of discussion I hear around me is how badly the wind is gusting. They are moving benches into position on the line with the tractor and request that the one in my lane be moved over to the next person who they are moving one into postion for as I am shooting prone, if its not too much trouble. No problem. A shooters meeting is called. The RO talking says please to make the match easier for next year if you will be shooting prone mark it so on your form so we can plan it (there was no place on the form to indicate how you would be shooting and they said anything is fine) but since his exact words are "If you are shooting on your belly you should mark it on the form so we can know ahead of time" leading me to believe that this crowd doesn't take to kindly to anything but benchrest shooting. Ok at any rate point taken. At this point I have abandoned all hope of anything and figure since Im already here I might as well at least send some lead downrange.

I text a friend explaining my predicament and he texts back "So you drove all that way to shoot at a BR match? Nice! Well take advantage of it and shoot."

So if you are thinking I could not possibly get any stupider at this point you would be mistaken. I had my zero and dope good with 155gr. I of course have to pack 175gr by mistake. Ok not so bad, right I can rezero or figure it out. I was wrong on both counts no time and I had a helluva time trying to figure out the wind was all over the place and I am not very good with that yet. I shoot three of the stages with the 175gr which I suck about as much as can be imagined. Finally for the last two I beg some 155gr off one of the only other people there I think who was shooting .308 and finally get some good hits on the last two stages.

Hardly anyone said a word to me all day but the few people who did were incredibly nice and helpful with spotting and giving me feedback after I got off the line each time and joking around with me about how I was going to win the "Dead Ass Last" prize at least and stuff like that. A few people asked me if I was shooting .308 if I wasn't getting bruised quite a lot which I didn't entirely understand and a number of people asked to look through my scope which was cool. I got to see lots of beautiful rifles and other gear that was amazing and other interesting things I hadnt seen before like people wenching their custom bench onto their trailer.

Even though it was probably not the best one to go with to start I was very happy in the end that I went anyway because it worked very well at evaporating a lot of my fear, I had a lot of fun, we had interesting conditions starting the day at 40* and ending at 85* with winds gusting up to 16mph and in both full and half values from different directions as well as tailwind. For some hits I was holding off effectively to the far left target to hit my far right one. I also got to meet some people who invited me to go shoot at their private range which is a lot closer than where I have been so I am excited about that and all around it was a good experience Im glad I did. I also was better able to observe the things I am still doing wrong.

Really my only major disapointment was not winning the "Dead Ass Last" prize I was pretty sure I had that sewed up.

One of the guys running the match told me that last year the female shooters agitated to have their scores scored seperately from the guys for some reason and they obliged them. Too bad they didn't do that this year I would have been second!
laugh.gif
Then again there was only one other female there.

1.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

10.jpg

Re: October 30th Texas Match

It's not a gender issue: You showed up; you competed. That sets you apart from the vast majority of other people. Well done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a gender issue: You showed up; you competed. That sets you apart from the vast majority of other people. Well done! </div></div>

I agree it shouldnt be a gender issue, one of the ROs was just telling me the story at the end of the day about what had happened last year and I was trying to make a joke that if it had of only been between me and one other person at least I would have come in second
smile.gif

Way to go G!! I think you were shooting a couple of weeks ago with much better looking guys though!!
laugh.gif

Awesome!! The LSSO is a really tough bunch of shooters. There used to be more folks shooting prone but as these have evolved, more guys are bringing heavy benches at the like. Its not really supposed to be a Benchrest match, just a run what ya brung - at it has evolved to what you saw yesterday.

I shoot F-Open, and would shoot prone right along with ya, just couldn't make this one.

Have you ever shot an F-Class match?

Great job!

It's about shooting and learning. Winning is just icing. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it don't.

I went out and shot a match yesterday with ammo I did not have a dope or MV on. If anything I got used to correcting off of impacts. Too bad I only got one shot at most of the targets.

Hell yeah, drive on. My first major match was the freakin Cup (go big or go home). I walked in expecting to be ignorant and way outclassed. I don't think I would have had the nuts to bring a field rifle to a BR match though. Bad ass.

My thought process was: If I could make it through that, anything else would be cake. If that is indeed the case, you shot against accuracy-anal shooters with practical focused equipment, from here on out, every thing else is golden...now go start signing up for some matches with the confidence that you can do them and have a great time!

Good for you 175G !! My personal opinion is that the tactical matches are alot more fun and friendlier. Keep up the good work, see ya on the range some day.

I agree with the guys. Good job! I hope to shoot with you at a match someday. I'd like someone to give me a run for top lady. We definitely need more women out here shooting. I'm told at least once a month that women are more accurate and patient than most men, so why aren't there more of us out on the line?

Keep it up! My first big match was NorCal's TBRC. I was 58th out of 59 shooters. Not really anywhere to go but up from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a down and dirty belly shooter....
laugh.gif
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Haha! Yes sir that I am. I fact I think I need a shirt that says "down and dirty belly shooter" LOL

LH Gina it is certainly no surprise that you kick ass. I am always extremely happy to hear (as I always do hear) that you have done as well as you do and I hope I get to shoot with you one day before too long.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever shot an F-Class match? </div></div>
No Sir. This was my first match of any kind

All things considered, especially with the 155 grains zero and brought 175 SMK, I think you did well. You are more than welcome to come out to AZ and shoot with us at our monthly match in Phx. Low stress, high in fun factor.

175G, you have to remember, judging from the pictures you posted, more than half of the guys in those pictures wouldn't be able to get up if they go prone. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">175G, you have to remember, judging from the pictures you posted, more than half of the guys in those pictures wouldn't be able to get up if they go prone. LOL </div></div>

ahhh, tactically padded. i get it now, lol

that is a extemely hard match for us to win, but one of our own has placed in the top3 shooting prone, so good job on not coming in last, but it is a BR match, we should compete in our own class, we have to drive the rifle from start to finish, BR boys just touch there 2oz trigger, there equipment does all the driving, they spend an assload of time and effort on there brass, we leave ours on the ground, one grit of sand will lock there action up, ours will take alot of abuse, last but not least a 42 power scope can see a center punch on a clay that didn't break, ours can't, so 175G thanks for the butt shots and again good job shooting.

Ah damn it! In looking over the training again I realize I failed at the don't push a bad shot thing. We were given ten mins per stage and I was off my rifle each time in less than two even trying to go as slow as I thought I could but I should have held off breaking the shot till the wind was familar and I was confident in the shot, elevation was good pretty much everytime after I got 155s.... damn that was stupid.

That's a fun little match for what it is. Also, don't let the heavy single shots scare you off, a belly shooter and a tac type rifle can absolutely hold his or Her own.

CONGRATS--you have some very fine equipment there--my lifelong dream is 1 of those S&B scopes you're sporting--building my 1st bolt gun as we speak

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 175G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah damn it! In looking over the training again I realize I failed at the don't push a bad shot thing. We were given ten mins per stage and I was off my rifle each time in less than two even trying to go as slow as I thought I could but I should have held off breaking the shot till the wind was familar and I was confident in the shot, elevation was good pretty much everytime after I got 155s.... damn that was stupid.</div></div>

That's what the BR shooters do.....they try to send every round in the exact same conditions. Whatever is going on during the first shot, they wait and send the next one in what they estimate is the exact same conditions. 10 minutes is plenty enough time to find that window for their shot. I wonder how well they would fair having to shoot with unknown variables with very limited windows. I bet you won't see them in the dirt shooting a tactical match anytime soon! Congrats on your first match, win, lose or draw. Should take the edge off your next matches.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome!! The LSSO is a really tough bunch of shooters. There used to be more folks shooting prone but as these have evolved, more guys are bringing heavy benches at the like. Its not really supposed to be a Benchrest match, just a run what ya brung - at it has evolved to what you saw yesterday.</div></div>

ToddACguy has always shot this match prone, and he almost won it his first two years, coming in 3rd and 2nd, I believe.