• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

October Topstraps Timed Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
Well, Fall is finally here and this will be the last Topstraps Rimfire Challenge matches of the year. Not sure about next year yet due to so many matches being run, it's making competitors choose which of 3 or 4 each weekend to go to. We'll see as Spring gets closer if there is still enough interest to do them next year even if it might be every other month. It will be October 7th (Friday), 8th (Saturday) and 9th (Sunday) rain or shine. Firing line is covered.

For my final event of the year the shoot will be my World Famous Timed Rimfire Challenge. Same rules apply as always, no Benchrest type equipmentmeaning no fancy adjustable rests or things like that. Bipods/Bags on front and bags or a monopod on the rear. I do allow adjustable bipods such as a Rempel for the front. Any rifle and scope can be used. This match is not favorable for the peep sight shooters since everyone has to shoot the regular racks but if you want to try, be my guest.

For the timed match competitors can use any 22 longrifle rifle/pistol including a Single shot, Semi-auto, Toggle, Pump, Lever Gun or Falling Block but will be limited to one (1) 10 round max magazine of no more than 10 rounds at any one time in the gun. There will be 75 targets from 25 yards out thru 197 yards and you will be given 20 minutes to do the best you can. You will not be shooting the smaller targets on some of my racks, targets will be some of my larger ones to keep things moving and not have a shooter get hung up on a really small hard to hit target. Some stages will have their own rack for the timed event but will be easily identifiable.

Shooters for the timed event will dump 100 rounds in a bowl (has to be in the bowl and witnessed), at the buzzer they can load their magazine or start shooting if a single shot. Starting at 25 yards and always shooting left to right you work your way out thru the racks. I will only call out a miss and not an impact. I'm not spotting for any misses or hits on targets other than for score, up to you to see your own shots unless you get totally lost and I'll help you back onto a target. If I don't say anything keep shooting. I will give each shooter a paper with all rack numbers and distances on it so your data can be entered before it's your turn to start. I will tell you that you can progress to the next distance but it is up to the shooter to keep track of which rack/distance and target they are shooting. If you get lost/confused I may help with rack number but not every one. Up to the shooter to keep track of where they are.

A competitor can take sighters on a larger square plate at any time they feel it's beneficial but those shots come out of their 100 rounds. The final score is calculated based on targets hit, rounds left over (if any) and also the time used to complete the match. So, you need to be accurate but shoot quickly to get as many hits as possible to get a good time or even finish the course. When the 20 minutes are done so are you, all part of the challenge. There may be plenty of squirrels, chimpmunks, groundhogs and possible a deer or bobcat occasionally wonder across the range for added distraction but you never know when that may happen and only adds to the experience.

The first time I ran this match an old Win 52-C with a 5 round magazine won with two Single Shot shooters coming in a close 2nd and 3rd. We came up with a calculation that when we tried every variable possible it always worked out the most accurate shooter with the most hits, most rounds left over and lowest time won. Was a lot of fun and a lot of different strategies that shooters tried to place higher up, some worked and some didn't but it made for letting the spectactors being entertained. I will only run one competitor at a time but it'll go faster than a regular match and gives for good entertainment while watching the others shoot knowing the timer is on them.

I still have the scores from the last time I ran this match. This year the current King (Chris Kirkpatrick) will have a bounty on him. If a competitor beats his score from last year and wins the match they'll receive a $50.00 prize. Maybe this will entice those speedy, deady accurate PRS/NRL competitors to come show off their talent and dethrone the current King. The top score was witnessed by at least two other competitors with one being Derrick Warren, no one practiced on the range before the timed match or knew exactly what the targets were except me. This match will have the exact same racks as the previous match to keep everything fair and equal year to year.

It will be Friday (7th), Saturday (8th) and Sunday (9th) of October. Starting around 8:00 if it's light enough. I know there are a lot of other shoots that weekend but the weather looks good so far and hope to see a few of you shot up to try it out. You really don't need to be a speed demon or have the bestest equipment, remember the old saying, Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. If an old timer like me can finish it with plenty of time left over with an old single shot it's not that difficult. It's just plain fun to watch and participate in and not another match like it anywhere.

Address for GPS is 43985 S. 70 Rd, Belmont, OH It's right off I-70 about 30 miles East of Cambridge or 15 West of Wheeling.

Calculation used for score.

Targets Hit __________

+ Rounds Left _________

- Targets Left _________

= Total Points _________

Time Used (Minutes ) ______ X 60 = __________

+ Seconds __________

Total Time __________

Total Points ________ divided by Total Time __________ = Score __________

Topstrap

Last edited: