• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ocular coming lose on black rifle

stranded

Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
S.E. Nebraska
My son has a dpmslr308. We put a vari-xII on it as that is what we had on hand at the time. The ocular came lose from lock ring (wouldn't stay tight) in first three months. leupold was very helpful no complaints. The scope has started to loosen again. Here is the question. Is there a fix?(locktite) Or do I need to buy a better scope? MY GOOGLE-FU SUCKS.

Re: ocular coming lose on black rifle

I had the same problem and never found a fix for it, sorry
frown.gif

I've seen the same problem on the Leupold scopes mounted on the department Colt AR-15's. Instead of tightening the the lock ring against the ocular, hold the locking ring in place and tightened the ocular against it. Seems to hold a while longer.

BCP&Badshot308, thank you for replying. I will try the hold ring tighten ocular. Is this a Leupold only problem? I haven't seen anybody else complaining or is loosening just a given? Again thank you.

I've only seen it on one leupold scope and mine came loose after 30 or so rounds. If yours is lasting a month or two that's pretty good.

Just deal with it until you can afford a different optic. 300$ is where the cheap-but-still-work-well scopes start.

BCP, Thank you we'll start looking for a new/different scope.

T.M. Hadn't thought of tape. Are suggesting black electrical type or duct?

black electrical should work just fine and not leave much of a residue like duct would...unless you aren't worried about that.

midway USA exclusive 3-10x40 weaver tactical mil/mil is only $299 (recurring sale @ midway), I have it on my AR and love the little thing.

Leupy can jump off a pier, as far as i'm concerned. But that is for another discussion.

Brad, Thanks for the heads upon the Weaver. The scope in Question served us well on a bolt action. I was worried the loosening was expected on Blk rifles. I didn't want to drop coin and find out,"oh,yeah that happens to all scopes". I do have a Leupold Rifleman scope to be gifted to someone I don't like.

I would put some black RTV gasket sealer on the threads and snug it up, once set up(12-24 hrs) it will not move but with a hard twist will break loose for adjusting