• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW & ambient temps

35WLN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Oregon
In the competitions I shoot with my AR15 the ambient temps range from 50 to 100 degrees. I am looking to do some load development currently and the temps right now are in the high 30's. So one of my questions is at what point of the node should I use based on the current temp for the desired temp range I will be shooting in competitions? Does the temp sensitivity of the powder make a difference? The powders that I am looking to use are Reloader 15, Tac, Exterminator, AA2230 and h335. Does anyone have any experience with the temp sensitivity of these powders.
Thanks

Re: OCW & ambient temps

OCW will put you in the middle of an accuracy node. But if you still want to shoot as good as possible, you will adjust to the conditions at hand. You will spend several sessions in exactly those conditions you expect to find in competition and develop an OCW for that temperature.

OR you can use a less temperature sensitive powder, like Varget. But you will still tweek the loads, just like bench rest shooters do.

This is not different than adjusting the air pressure in a race car for 50dF ambient temperature versus 100dF ambient temperatures.

I understand what you are saying. This make up is not for my long range gun but an AR15 that I use in 3gun and as such I like to load up several thousand rounds at a time. Just a thought but should I pick the bottom of the node with the current temps and expect as the future ambient temps rise so would it in the node (make sense?).
Thanks

To a first order it makes sense. The only way to really know is to keep accurate records over the next year and determine what works and what does not.