• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW , hard read......

KOPFJÄGER13

If people were half as good as they think..
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
Thoughts on this OCW?
20190504_102242.jpg

I might try again with a larger group at the 44.1 as well as the 43.1 and 43.3
Possibly try for a 10 shot group with each of those three as all of those seem close enough that you need more than a 3 shot group to pick.

Reactions: KOPFJÄGER13
Agree with 43.1-43.3, per gents above - particularly if you shot it as a round robin. Not knowing the calibre or how the pressure signs were, is there another node further up you can get to if that’s what you want?

It was a 168gr eld..... and yes it was a round robin... considering the flyer it may be 44.1-44.5?
20190504_113154.jpg

Reactions: tnc
It's possible... And if the velocity at the lower one isn't what you want then I would repeat those with larger group. Luckily it's a 308 you will go broke and your shoulder will fall off before you shoot it out ?

43.1,43.3 are a pair.
43.5, 43.7 are a pair
Both pair are at high points on the target.

With this combo out of a 24" barrel, I would expect the middle node to show up around 2655fps. So I would run 43.1-43.7 thru a chrono and see which pair shakes out for velocity and SD

Reactions: supercorndogs
Shookem, I'm not sure where your going with the pair theory, can you explain?

Really should just be looking at vertical imo. You can fix the horizontal with technique or bullet seating 43.1and 43.3 is where its at.... at least according to that target again thats in my very unprofessional opinion. Different bullet may give you a higher velocity if thats what you desire.

Really should just be looking at vertical imo. You can fix the horizontal with technique or bullet seating 43.1and 43.3 is where its at.... at least according to that target again thats in my very unprofessional opinion. Different bullet may give you a higher velocity if thats what you desire.
Group size and shape mean nothing at this point in the process....unless the best charge weight also just happens to group at the tested OAL.

I realize group size isn't what needs to be read at this point but If were looking at vertical dispersion it can be any of them, 3 shot groups aren't very accurate cause 1 out of 3 shot could be pitched and completely skew the test........ I'm under the impression you want to look at the center of each group and look for point of impact and go with the least deviation....?

Reactions: spife7980
This is the method I use to develop loads http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/long-range-load-development-at-100-yards.3814361/

by that method looking at the vertical its 43.1 and 43.3.

You should draw a straight line (which you have done to line up the targets) and see how close those groups are to that line (hint its 43.1 and 43.3 :) ).

I never shoot more than 3 shots per group for initial load development (but then again I shoot the fast 6's and barrel life is a real thing). I also shoot off a rest for load development to take out the oops factor. Another 168 may give you a different node or if you are still early in the barrel (say less than 100 rounds) its possible the node will move.

I agree with everything said. I believe there are two possible nodes shown there. As I've moved from shooting pencil barreled hunting rifles to heavy barreled target rifles, I've grown to hate 100 yd OCW tests. The results are very easy to decipher with thin barrels and very difficult with most heavy barreled guns.

I would explore 44.1-44.2 at the longest distance you can shoot. It looks like that is the middle of the widest node. Either just pick a charge and see how it does for 10 shots @ 100 and distance or load a ladder test at distance. I like to use multiple rounds of each charge. You can see which charges won't hold vertical and which charges group together at range and hold vertical. It's very helpful in identifying the node. Then I tune seating depth at 100 and confirm at distance. At lot of 100 yd OCW end up like yours with very little movement of poi and pretty tight groups across all safe charge weights. If you're good at reading the subtleties, you can usually find an area to work in, but they are a lot more difficult to read than results on target at distance. If you want to check things at 100 load [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] and see if it will print 9 shots under 1 moa. It looks like the gun is going to do pretty well with any reasonable load with that powder and bullet. I'd start testing at distance. My two cents, maybe worth less than that.

This is the method I use to develop loads http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/long-range-load-development-at-100-yards.3814361/

by that method looking at the vertical its 43.1 and 43.3.

You should draw a straight line (which you have done to line up the targets) and see how close those groups are to that line (hint its 43.1 and 43.3 :) ).

I never shoot more than 3 shots per group for initial load development (but then again I shoot the fast 6's and barrel life is a real thing). I also shoot off a rest for load development to take out the oops factor. Another 168 may give you a different node or if you are still early in the barrel (say less than 100 rounds) its possible the node will move.
That is a famous thread that gets re-posted in a lot of different forums. No one wants to admit that it is just an OCW with the sole difference of not shooting round robin. Because Mr. Cortina did it, it is some how better I guess.

I'll say this ... out of a factory rifle shooting round Robin with 8 different charge weights varying almost 2 grains, the average group size of all these groups is .535"...... I'm incredibly impressed with the rifle.....

Reactions: tnc
44.1, 44.3, and 44.5 all have different POI. Everyone suggesting them for this OCW test, needs to go read up on OCW tests.

I’m speculating this is IMR 4064 or Varget. If so you should have two nodes, the 43.1-43.3 +/- and 44.3-44.5 +/- depending on what brass you are using. It helps to analyze if the brass and powder is known.

I ran the same series on my rifle using Varget and 168 ELDM’s. My two nodes were at 43-43.3 and the next one I hit was up at 44.7-45. With the hotter load I started to notice bolt lift was a little tough though so I backed off to 43.