• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

OCW help please

09cs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Commiefornia
Here were my first loads shot
Powder: Varget, Bullet: 175 SMK, Federal Brass. Rifle: Remington 700 AAC-SD, 20 inch barrel, 1:10 twist.
Some one telling me (dif. forum) try 43.2-43.5 (but 43.5 gave about 1 inch group) and 44.3-44.7. Just looking for more input and thought I'd see why you guys think. Thank you for all your input and help!

not able to tell much from your jumbled up pics. You need to be able to see all the test on one target for clarity IMO.
I will say that my normal "sweet spot" is 44.7 gr Varget with the 175SMK. I load to a COAL of 2.80" but you may play with seating depth for your rifle. As for group size, I wouldn't put much stock in making really small ones but look for the really big ones. That is where the scatter node is. ALso, watch for where impact is on the target as you progress up the charge weights.

not able to tell much from your jumbled up pics. You need to be able to see all the test on one target for clarity IMO.
I will say that my normal "sweet spot" is 44.7 gr Varget with the 175SMK. I load to a COAL of 2.80" but you may play with seating depth for your rifle. As for group size, I wouldn't put much stock in making really small ones but look for the really big ones. That is where the scatter node is. ALso, watch for where impact is on the target as you progress up the charge weights.

Here is one with both targets next to each other

do another test with 44.3 to 45 in .2 increments. I think your seeing something at 44.5 grains. You did shoot round robin with cooling in between didn't you?

No I didn't give time for the barrel to cool for the most part. Probably shot two groups, waited a min at most. Didn't think of that :/

I was just excited that everything was going well, I didn't even think about giving time to let the barrel cool between groups :(

Should I rerun each of those groups?

Yes. Shoot round Robin. The. I shoot out to at least 300 to confirm my groupings

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Round Robin and at 100 yards to begin with. 300 yards won't provide initial data needed because of the environmental conditions. Once you have the node and the seating depth then go longer for confirmation. It is all in the OCW procedure outlined on Dan Newberry's site. As offered above, read the procedure outline again.