• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW results, not sure what to make of this.

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
I'm trying the ocw method for the first time and my results are not what I expected after reading the instructions. I'm h-4831sc under 190 Berger VLD-h's out of my 300 win mag at 200 yards. I shot 3 rounds of each charge starting at 70.5 moving up in .5 grain increments to 73. All rounds were shot round robin (low to high, high to low, low to high) out of a fouled barrel. What is puzzling me is that all the groups are within an inch of each other. There is no noticeable shift in POI. It looks to me like I should be concentrating in the 71.5-72 range, but I just wanted to run it by others with more experience.
utf-8BSU1BRzAxMzkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxMzguanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxMzcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxMzYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxNDEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAxNDAuanBn.jpg

Re: OCW results, not sure what to make of this.

Are you confident in your shooting on all the groups? If yes, then I definitely like the two hotter (72.5,73.0) loads since there is the least vertical in those groups. What was the wind doing when you were shooting?

Conditions were about as perfect as they get around here. Wind was 5-10 mph at 11 oclock and ~70 degrees. I pulled one shot on the 72.5 but all the others felt good. I waited 3minutes between shots, the barrel stayed warm, but no too hot to hold on to. I just thought it was weird there wasn't more POI shift as I climbed up the charges.

As predatornut said, 72.5 and 73 look good because the lack of vertical spread.

If you have the components and your shoulder is up to it, you could always shot the test at 300 yards and get a little more resolution. Never a bad idea. If you choose to shoot at 300 yards I would also recommend 5 shot groups as this helps reveal good data even if you have a called flier.

I see what you guys are saying about the vertical spread. Do you think it would be worth it to try to step it up to 73.5 or so? I stopped at 73 cause that was the book max, but I didn't have any pressure signs. If anybody has advise on this combo, especially loading over book max, I would like to hear it. Obviously I have to work up slow to find the max in this rifle. Thanks for the input.

I have to ask what kind of stick are you shooting? What twist ?
I have heard from several guys that their .300 just wont shoot 190's. I shoot 210 vlds out of a 700 p with 72.7 r22 & get 2900 at muzzle. 1/2 moa. It's a 1:10. Have you tried any other powder ? Just wondering. Hope you get to shooting one holers!

It's a R700 5R. I believe the twist is 1:11.25, but I'm not 100%. It mainly a hunting rig, no competitions. I tried H-1000 with less than spectacular results. I couldn't cover 3 shots with my hand at 200 yards, and I tried R-25 last year but its too temp sensitive for this part of the country. I wouldn't say this gun can't shoot 190's, all the groups with 4831 were sub MOA discounting the pulled shot, and I haven't adjusted seating depth yet. I went with the 190's because they where on the shelf. Maybe next year I will try some heavier pills, but these seem like they will get the job done.

If your confident with it that's all that matters!!

Your 5R 300WM is a 1 in 10 twist, Try the Berger 230 OTM. I have had great results with this bullet and Retumbo.