• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW test and suppressor

Tempest 455

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2012
Middle TN
Going to post this here as I figured best as any area for this topic:

I shoot FTR and was helping a buddy do a OCW test on one of his guns he will use in FTR as a back up. Used a method I've done for years that works well for me at 600 yards. He loaded rounds in .1g increments over a total spread of 3.0g using a known load. At 600 yards it's been my experience you see a rise in POI with the change in velocity. Maybe a vertical drop here and there outside a node. His other gun when we did this, showed a very noticeable rise in POI with higher charge weight.

On this gun he had a suppressor (know you can't use in FTR but had it one for testing). During the course of testing, the POI basically did not change over almost 200 FPS change from start to finish. We did see a very clear low node and a higher one that were most accurate. However, the elevation was almost the same for 30 shots. Was very surprised.

I've never done a OCW with a suppressor on before and thought maybe it had something to do w/ barrel harmonics and have the additional weight on end of barrel.

Thoughts?

Seems impossible; faster bullet will shoot flatter w less drop.

Watching for an answer to this pickle.