• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ocw test

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Wanted to try something today. Already got my results but wanted to test hide members on the reloading section with the recent OCW madness.

Attached is my target.

Left column is A-D
Right column is E-F

Won't post any additional info, read the target and let's see what people think.

please articulate your answers so everyone can follow along and for those afraid to post their own answers this exercise is an attempt at a better open discussion for load development

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
e49a21f2e7aa14896a937a070c173806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the E-F range, leaning a little more towards E than F. If the weather heated up you'd start pushing into that scatter range shown in G. Probably depends on how big of powder charge intervals you're dealing with and how wide that node would be.

E and F have similar POI, not too far off D either, though there is a bit of a horizontal shift between D and E.

horizontal shift between D and E.
To the letter of OCW, you ignore horizontal shift largely. Especially when it's as small as represented in his targets here. Just too easy to lay the blame on minor NPA problems or trigger work by the shooter. The center of that node is between D and E, with C, D, E, and F all having excellent vertical alignment.

To explain the above, I can't tell you how many times I've seen shooters in class have their groups shift to the right when shooting the right side of the page. That target is VERY representative of a slight variation in NPA and the shooter not taking his body with the rifle when shifting to the right targets. Opposite for left handed shooters.

There are several reasons why horizontal dispersion is ignored in OCW, but that is one main one.

This is further indicated by the fact that all groups that fall outside of POA are to the right, whether they are in the node or out of the node. A and B are clearly out, G and H are clearly out, yet still pushed right of POA. While this could be argued either way at 100yds. It can NOT be argued either way at distance. Not sure how many rifles I've done load dev on in the last 5 years, but the number is substantial. In each instance, the load which was tuned for vertical only at 100yds and ignored horizontal all together is what consistently performed the best at range.

Yet all this is nothing but speculation regarding the target without knowing the absolute details... all of them. Context is imperative when interpreting an OCW target. How it is shot is just as important as what is shot. All of my comments were in the spirit of the shooter being an expert marksman with an expert understanding of how to conduct an OCW. I could be wrong on all accounts, or none.

Good points brought up so far.

-Orkan brought up a point about NPA and shooter error. Let's address this. In a lot of the ocw's we see, we don't know the shooter's ability to shoot well enough. A true "ocw" should have shooter error completely taken out.
On that, I am a left handed shooter and NPA wasn't the exact issue. Im not gonna say that I'm the best dot driller in the world but a minimum 3 shot group should allow you to zone in on the center of the POI.

-those that guessed the D, E, F, G range you are correct. A half Point if you stated that H might have been right outside the window.

D's average MV was 2870 and H was at 2912.
E, F, G were 2880,2889,2899.

those that guess A/B would've been correct too for a lower node. A would've been the middle had there been a charge before it.

if you think about it, C and D are considered 'markers' between nodes

which brings me to another point: node windows. I feel like it turned into a general consensus that nodes are somehow in groups of 3's... that's not 100% true.

I encourage you guys to go back and re read some of the OCW posts and what the OP has written for charge weights vs what the suggestions were.

They don't seem to be all over the place if you look at that ONE post but you'll see an interesting trend in charge weights vs recommendations if you were to plot multiple posts into one sheet...

my charge weights from A-H

43.0 (control / A)

140 eld-M's seated 20 thousandths off the lands running only a thousandth neck tension.

If I had to guess I'm sure some of you guys have confused faces wondering what .07-1% charge weight bumps are and it's not in quarter increments. True.

Youve also seen me recommend doing OCW in .5 grain increments. YMMV.

This is where I teach people to UNDERSTAND what data paradigms you're setting.
If you're doing .1-.3 grain increments and you post an ocw load work up here that only ranged a total of 1.5 grains that's WORTHLESS information unless you luckily stumble upon a load or you luckily stumbled upon a load.

again I left out information from the OP because I re did a known load just to show some things in reading and interpretation.

Another tangent: controls. I don't see people talk about or when asked have a "control" set up.

when you do load development you're doing an experiment essentially. It's strongly recommended you have a control. I like to make my starting node charge a control or a half grain below it. I zero to that control and I never adjust my POA.
(I didn't post control here because it would've confused some).

That should cover charge weights...unless anyone has other questions , post them. Otherwise let's talk about seat depth now since that's the next step.

Who wants to start? What's is the RIGHT answer to what distance to start seat depth testing at?

Last edited:
I start at fifteen thousandth in the lands and work inward seating deeper five to seven thou at a time.
this is a 20 shot group over the course of 5 minutes or so. Testing for f class via ocw gave me a charge that held nice vertical and also held together with pretty intense barrel heat. That's a 150 yard distance to target.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r33g2pk5vtzv3dv/Attach430_20170418_090659.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Great thread. I am not familiar with the projectile that you are using but for VLDs I prefer not to jam into the lands so as to prevent mishaps.

I load 24 rounds, 6 each at:
0.010" jump
0.050" jump
0.090" jump
0.130" jump

i shoot 2x 3 round groups at 100m to find a jump that out performs the others. I do this as it is my understanding is that the sweet spot is somewhere around 0.030 to 0.040 wide. From the best grouping I may tune it in 0.003" if I can be bothered. This gets me good results. YMMV.

I here to learn so if someone has a better way I am all ears

OzTRG, good to do but I think you should reduce your jump variations. I don't like to cover a huge window in jump distances because:

-you can put yourself out of your node because of the pressure differences generated
-you generally don't want to seat too deep into the case. No need to and you want to maximize powder charge potential.

Some thing im always pointing out to others:
-always find distance to the lands and start at either :

20 thousandths off

OR

mag length - 15 thousandths

make sure you give yourself 15-20 thousandths to chase lands before you start your powder charge testing otherwise you won't be able to load longer as your throat erodes

OzTRG, good to do but I think you should reduce your jump variations. I don't like to cover a huge window in jump distances because:

-you can put yourself out of your node because of the pressure differences generated
-you generally don't want to seat too deep into the case. No need to and you want to maximize powder charge potential.

Some thing im always pointing out to others:
-always find distance to the lands and start at either :

20 thousandths off

OR

mag length - 15 thousandths

make sure you give yourself 15-20 thousandths to chase lands before you start your powder charge testing otherwise you won't be able to load longer as your throat erodes

Might I add, use a comparator. Measuring from the Base of case to the tip of bullet will vary. Base to ogive is much more consistent.

Last edited:
Didn't mean offense; im actually glad you brought it up as it's lacking in many threads for load development. Questioning the shooter is almost non existent.
and that was part of the point of this discussion and why I left out almost all information.

We see see a lot of threads that say, this is my charge and targets. What do I do next? When in fact we need a lot more detail.

Assuming you shot at 100yd, I would move out to 200yd. You will see much more pronounced differences due to load changes vs the shooter induced error. Wind is not so influential at 200, and mirage also plays minimal role. For expediency I was forced to shoot 100 a couple of times and always find it lacking vs 200.

No offense taken. If I sounded cross, it was just because of text. Difficult to convey emotion, you understand. ;)

I understand the premise of your thread. I am not sure of its effectiveness however. Simply because all of this information exists already in many forms in many different places. So a thread can not be created which will serve to further educate those asking for help on load dev, because if they were inclined to find this information, they could... easily. Instead they want to take the easy path and receive specialized expert help without researching enough to even provide the correct information required for us to competently help them. Thus, the only real answer to the problem is to answer their request for help with our subsequent request to go gain knowledge and provide sources to that knowledge. ... which this thread could be, indeed, yet it would be only another among a sea of threads already dedicated to this topic over the years. People's interpretation of the information they assimilate can be very suspect as well. Two people can read the same thing and come away with very different ideas of what the information was to convey.

So the way I see it, we have a simple choice to make when someone asks for help interpreting a load dev target:
Option 1) Be patient, grab their hand, and walk them through it step by step, pointing out everything along the way. Provide articles such as the one I wrote above as proof of concept.
Option 2) Scold them for not spending the time to do even the slightest research about one of the most frequently discussed aspects in all of precision rifle handloading.
Option 3) Ignore the thread and move along.

Compounding this above situation is the simple fact that you do not need any kind of credentials to give "advice" on the internet. So you'll have guys that have done this professionally for decades standing next to guys that just got started last year, both claiming to be correct. The professionals rarely tolerate the latter for long, as there seems to be a limitless stock of disrespectful new people whom are so smart they can just "think" about something and have all the answers without even having to actually do anything. As with every previous thread like this, if you post a set number of targets, you'll get people recommending virtually every single one of them at some point. By that measure of load development you could literally blindfold someone and hang the targets on a dart board and be just as successful. As Frank is so fond of saying... people simple do not know what they do not know. Sadly this doesn't stop people from "thinking" they know and making sure everyone else "knows" what they "know" also.

I admire you and your intentions here in this thread. Though I think it will not stop the ever-present requests for help with load dev target interpretation. I also do not think you will ever get those that lack experience to refrain from offering their opinions anyway. I've done load development on 8 rifles just this last week. Pretty common week this time of year. That will continue through most of the summer. I'm going to guess most people aren't shooting that much with as many different rifles. No doubt some are, and they too will have a lock on the process before long with that kind of cadence. You can't buy that kind of experience and you can't read enough to gain that kind of competence.

Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, one thing stands true above all else: Those that truly want to know the answers to the questions posed, have no choice but to get to pressing triggers and learn their way through it.

Which brings us to the primary point of this windy post of mine. I'm not concerned whether I'm right or wrong as it pertains to load development target interpretation. I'm only concerned with whether or not the rifle/shooter in question are able to find a workable load or not. How it happens is of little concern to me... because frankly, if all of this experience has taught me anything; nothing works all the time. For instance, a couple days ago I worked a load for a 6.5SAUM that needed berger hybrids stuffed into the lands before it shot even remotely well. Never seen that before with hybrids... yet that's what needed to happen in order for it to get beneath half MOA.

The concepts are there to be read, everywhere. Shooting lots of rifles needs to happen to gain experience. There are always new concepts to proof. There are always new rifles to be shot. It never ends.

Thanks for your contributions Ghengis.

I'm not concerned whether I'm right or wrong as it pertains to load development target interpretation. I'm only concerned with whether or not the rifle/shooter in question are able to find a workable load or not. How it happens is of little concern to me... because frankly, if all of this experience has taught me anything; nothing works all the time. For instance, a couple days ago I worked a load for a 6.5SAUM that needed berger hybrids stuffed into the lands before it shot even remotely well. Never seen that before with hybrids... yet that's what needed to happen in order for it to get beneath half MOA.

The concepts are there to be read, everywhere. Shooting lots of rifles needs to happen to gain experience. There are always new concepts to proof. There are always new rifles to be shot. It never ends.

Thanks for your contributions Ghengis.

This is the most important thing, IMO

Credentials would be a great thing, if there was a good way of acquiring them in an online environment. I think it becomes fairly obvious with any significant time on a forum section, the guy's that consistently provide helpful information, though - from the content they provide and the thanks they get from the people they help.

I will say, there are occasionally times I've gotten help or seen people helped by the strangest and most unexpected of sources. Lol.

As for those that "scold" people for not finding the answer on their own, or those that just ignore a request for help - why are they even here?? If you're not here to learn or help people learn, what's the point?

Ghengis, you asked others to explain their answers, so I think it's fair to ask you to explain yours. WHY are C/D identified as markers between nodes? What measurements did you take to determine that the D-G range was correct?

As far as the "markers" statement goes you can tell that C and D don't quite fall into the range of the other shots (D for example you can tell you're just starting another potential node by looking at e f and G (just ending the node) so E and F are the good candidates.'you can pick one way or the other.

You can also use chronograph #'S if available. Helps paint a visual photo

This is where I teach people to UNDERSTAND what data paradigms you're setting.
If you're doing .1-.3 grain increments and you post an ocw load work up here that only ranged a total of 1.5 grains that's WORTHLESS information unless you luckily stumble upon a load or you luckily stumbled upon a load.

IMO not worthless. If you do an OCW by design covering 1.5% of the charge weight with .3 grain increments (could be less than 1.5 grains depending on the case), you will either find the accuracy node or you will get scatter group. If you get a scatter, a simple calculation will put you right into either the upper or lower node.

In this case, you have a scatter around charge H a simple calculation of 44.75 x .985 puts the node between E and F which is what the target shows.

Last edited:
Hi headquarters,

i definitely do use a comparator, as well as a modified case the actual type of projectile. Great advice. Cheers