• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd AMU ammo on Gunbroker. What’s its story?

triumph001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2018
Colorado
My insomnia had me cruising around on gunbroker at 4am. I stumbled onto this 300 magnum improved ammo and immediately thought of you gents in the vintage section. The boxes look to be in great shape. I did google the subject briefly and most of what I found referenced ammo with a 197 grain hp bullet. I just thought I’d post up a link to see if anyone here had any stories or knowledge they cared to share about the use/abundance of 300 AMU improved.

Darn little about it available!

Sirhr
I did find this old auction listing. I guess it shows evidence they did have some rifles made in 300 AMU. No way to know if it was the same cartridge but it is still a cool old pre 64 model 70.

I did find this old auction listing. I guess it shows evidence they did have some rifles made in 300 AMU. No way to know if it was the same cartridge but it is still a cool old pre 64 model 70.

That rifle was for sale circa 2015, I remember looking at it when I was searching for a Model 70 Bull Gun and briefly considered it before deciding I preferred an original in .300 H&H.

A guy over on LRH had some info but he got canned a few years back so I can’t get anything new from him.
A880B7C9-135F-4E34-8E88-372DFE69A5FC.jpeg

Reactions: triumph001
I had a couple rifles chambered in the AMU. One a pre 64 Win 70 and the other possibly a R 700.
Had a few cases of the ammo. Never shot either as they came in large collection of stuff and moved along. Basically a .300 improved 30 deg shoulder.
Improving the 300 H&H has been done long before the 300 AMU.
I don’t think it was ever directly linked to the sniper program. It was built in bull gun configuration for 1000 yard shooting comps.

That rifle was for sale circa 2015, I remember looking at it when I was searching for a Model 70 Bull Gun and briefly considered it before deciding I preferred an original in .300 H&H.

A guy over on LRH had some info but he got canned a few years back so I can’t get anything new from him.
View attachment 8032705
Well... Today is your lucky day...

Dragging up some of my old posts from LRH and LRO, I see... 🤣

Yes, I am (was) MudRunner2005 in a past life... And yes, I do still have my custom built .300 Ackley.

What info are you looking for?

Well... Today is your lucky day...

Dragging up some of my old posts from LRH and LRO, I see... 🤣

Yes, I am (was) MudRunner2005 in a past life... And yes, I do still have my custom built .300 Ackley.

What info are you looking for?

I thought it might have been you based on the picture but the name didn’t match up. I remembered our discussion when that rifle came up for sale a few years back so I found the old post I had made.

I thought it might have been you based on the picture but the name didn’t match up.
I originally went by the same username on here, but I changed it to “FuhQ” to be funny after several confrontations with some of the resident douchebags that were being snobs. So I just left it.

If anyone has any questions, you can ask them here, or DM me.

As originally posted I saw the ammo listed on Gunbroker and figured someone in the vintage section would have some knowledge of it and its use. I would welcome any history lessons about it. I did not serve in the military nor am I a collector of snipery military things, I am however curious about how things like that experimental ammo and the rifles to shoot it come about.

As originally posted I saw the ammo listed on Gunbroker and figured someone in the vintage section would have some knowledge of it and its use. I would welcome any history lessons about it. I did not serve in the military nor am I a collector of snipery military things, I am however curious about how things like that experimental ammo and the rifles to shoot it come about.
Just do some heavy googling…

And few people will remember, after the 300AMU, they played with the 338 Winchester Magnum necked down to .30, and thus was born the 30-338, which with the neck longer than the current 300 Win Mag, was very accurate in part bc of said longer neck. 66 grains of IMR4350 with a 190.

And few people will remember, after the 300AMU, they played with the 338 Winchester Magnum necked down to .30, and thus was born the 30-338, which with the neck longer than the current 300 Win Mag, was very accurate in part bc of said longer neck. 66 grains of IMR4350 with a 190.

Dean Herron shot this 300-338 load into his late 60s in his old M700 team reserve guns with 2” Unertls. Last time I saw him shoot one was probably 2008~ish. Still putting up high 190 scores from a coat and sling. Dean was a great man and a damn fine shooter/ambassador to the sport. We lost a good one with Dean.

Reactions: j-huskey