• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd DOPE change

Rum&Powder

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2021
Augusta
I took my rifle out last year and shot 1000yds.
This year I went back to the same range, with the same rifle, with the same ammo. The only change was the muzzle brake. I took the small muzzle brake off and put on an APA fat bastard. When I made this change, it changed my point of impact at 100yds by 5 inches. With the new muzzle brake, same rifle, same ammo my point of impact went up almost exactly 5 inches at 100yds.
I figured maybe the old brake was pretty cheap and the new one added another 2+inches to barrel so maybe that would account for poi difference.
Here is the question that I have not been able to account for. Last year when I shot 1000yds, I had to dial about 30 moa of elevation to hit the target. This year I had to dial 32 moa.
Since I had to change my zero down 5 moa with the new brake, I am still dialing less elevation than last year by 3 moa....but I still don't understand why I would have to dial 2 moa more than previous.
Should I just adjust my DOPE, stop worrying about it, and stfu or does someone have an explanation that makes sense?

Btw atmospheric conditions were a little different but not excessive. I think last year was about 70 degrees and probably 50% humidity. This year was about 85 degrees and 80% humidity.

It's not uncommon for the point of impact to change when switching out muzzle devices and the amount of shift can vary from gun to gun. However, once you were zeroed, that shouldn't have any impact on your dope so I wouldn't necessarily blame the muzzle brake in this case. I think it's more coincidental then causational.

So, the overriding issue is that last year you needed 30 MOA to hit 1,000 yards and this year you needed 32 MOA. Honestly, there's a lot of things it could be. You said it was the same ammo but was it the same box of ammo? Handloaded or factory ammo? Same lot number? MV, ES, and SD numbers? What optic? Have you verified the tracking of the scope recently? Was the parallax adjusted correctly? Did you have a good body position? Was your shooting position the same as last year? What was the wind doing last year and this year?

For now I'd adjust your dope and move on but verify the new dope to make sure it wasn't some crazy anomaly.