• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd looking rings at base of brass

Bigzams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
San Marcos Texas
This is my 1st time doing full length resizing. This brass is from my 6.5 Creedmoor once fired factory ammo. I couldn't find a neck sizing die so I went with some Hornady dies since I was able to get some. Drove the ram all the way up tightened the die till it touched the shell holder. I don't know if its just where the brass was worked or there is something wrong. There is no bump or ridge that I can feel with my fingernail.
Friend of my from work asked if they were small base dies but I dont see anything on the box about it being a small base die.
Any thoughts?

-Bigzam

Attachments

• WP_20131202_16_27_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131202_16_27_23_Pro.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 82
  • WP_20131202_16_26_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131202_16_26_56_Pro.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 60
Looks like the marks left from full length resizing. You might take a paperclip and feel around the inside of the case for anything just in case it is the beginning of a case head separation, but most likely just the resizing marks.

pretty standard look after being sized hard, RCBS may size them a little larger

I have a set of those dies . I load for a friend. Not my caliber. Yet. Oddly, they specify NOT camming over. I backed off a half turn to just neck size. The arris formed at the juncture of the neck and the shoulder was burred and left obvious and deep scratches on the neck.I'm not a Hornady die user ordinarily but RCBS only makes a gas gun set and I do not have gelt for Redding. Ugly but servicable.

Ill bet the brass is about .004, .005" bigger above the ring than a round not yet fired in that chamber. Slice one open and if uniform, run em.

What you are seeing is "NORMAL" case expansion after being fired, the brass expanded outward to meet the chamber walls. When you full length resized, your dies compressed the case and what you see is the result of the dies compressing the brass.

Below are two factory loaded once fired .303 British cartridge cases that were fired in the same Enfield rifle. The Greek HXP case on the right had a smaller base diameter than the Prvi case on the left.

In simple English the smaller the base diameter of the cartridge case the more pronounced the "ring" at the base will be and its nothing to worry about.

privihxp-1_zpsdb98083e.jpg

Right now I'm taking a reloading break, and my resized cases look just like yours. It looks even worse when your reloading commercial SAAMI cases fired in military chambers that are larger in diameter, meaning the "ring" is even more pronounced.

Below is an example, your dies compressed the "pressure ring" at the base of the case, and it is always more visible the smaller the base diameter of the case is.

shouldersetback_zps59bf1b04.jpg

Your cases are OK, so just keep reloading.

Thank you gentlemen for all your input. I went ahead and prepped them today but was holding off putting primers in them till I got some feed back. I will finish reloading them out. Thanks!
-Bigzam

Could just be marks from fl resizing or possible case head separation... Google paperclip casehead separation test

I personally wouldn't slam the shoulder all the way back. I recommend getting a headspace gauge (Hornady, Sinclare). Measure the headspace of your once fired brass, and for a bolt gun bump it back about 0.002" (for a gas gun, maybe 0.003"-0.004"). Start with the die one turn off of the shell holder and tighten it till you get the bump you want. This will help your brass life. There are better instructions here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...and-loading-long-range-1-brass-case-prep.html. You can also use the candle method he describes.

First of all, continue using the full length die. A neck die might be okay in some applications, but you lose nothing as a beginner by full length resizing. I would forget your setup involving bottoming out against the shell holder, just bump your brass, (the shoulder) enough so that it chambers in your gun.

Were I you, I would disregard all comments about case head separation, this is a relatively rare occurrence but seems to generate a lot of paperclip advice? Also, it looks quite different, seen side by side, looks more like a crack, or split, or as they like to say, "incipient case head separation". Meaning, it hasn't happened yet, but why wait?

I just reread the original post and see that you aren't an actual new handloader, just to full length resizing. You may want a neck sizer in the future, to use when appropriate, but you can survive quite nicely without one. Understanding that resizing does not render your brass to "new" specifications. Nor, is it necessary. BB