• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd noise during Full length sizing (video and pics included)

Devlin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey Guys,

I am running into an issue with both Lapua and Alpha Munitions brass in 6.5 Creedmoor. This is once fired brass that I am re-sizing down by .002" measured at the datum line on the shoulder. I have tried a few things to figure out what I am doing wrong here but am still encountering the problem. On the return stroke of the reloading press when the case is coming out of the die I get a loud dragging and rubbing noise and the lower portion of the brass has what I would call drag marks on it.

I have tried two sets of dies now, a Redding standard die and now a Whidden bushing die that is set with a bushing to leave 2 thousandths neck tension on the brass once re-sized. Both dies are eliciting the same results which makes me think I am doing something wrong. I've been reloading a while now and this is the first time encountering this.

I have tried Lyman case lube that is the spray on aerosol variety and get this behaviour, I have tried my own home made re-sizing lube with Lanolin and isopropyl alcohol and encounter this but to a lesser degree though it is still there. Most recently I've moved to Hornady unique case lube/paste and have coated the cases lightly with this. I tumble my brass in corn cob media for a few hours before annealing it and then start re-sizing once the brass has cooled naturally. The annealer is an Annealeez unit.

Pictures and video below of what I am experiencing. Welcome any advice on what else I can try or change in my process to avoid this.

Pics

Video

Yup, I'd say . . . not enough lube or a lube that's not working well. Also, this is more apt to happen if the cases are not cleaned after annealing and the burnt on residue is not easily lubed well. I always clean my brass after annealing for this reason.

Reactions: Jordanwickham
I would highly advise taking that Die apart at this point and clean the hell outta it. And don't forget to clean the little vent hole in the side of it. Then I'd put some lube on a pad, you know, like the green sponge pad RCBS uses, and roll them around on there with plenty of lube. Bottom line, that Case is way to dry and am surprised you haven't stuck one in the Die yet. It's just a matter of time.

For good measure, I'd take @Milo 2.5 advice as well and find out your dimensions. But I'm betting/hoping the 1st idea will getter done.

I get that too sometimes. Not enough lube.
I'd clean out the die with a patch and some brake cleaner. Then spray some lube in the die and wait a few minutes. When I lube the brass, I stand them up in a reloading block and hit them pretty heavy with lube. I use a bushing die, so I dont really care about the inside of the necks, but I try to hit the sides of the cases from all four sides.

I use Hornady One shot, which I think is great, although I know alot of people here dont like it.

This time I used the hornady unique paste style lube and rolled the cases around in a new Tupperware container with thumb sized smear of the case lube in the container.

They felt slick enough but perhaps they need a bit more. I may go back to the tried and true lube pad and rolling cases on them. I genuinely hate prepping brass but maybe the old ways are best?

I will give the die a shot of lube as well after cleaning it out to be sure we are starting from a good state.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

This time I used the hornady unique paste style lube and rolled the cases around in a new Tupperware container with thumb sized smear of the case lube in the container.

They felt slick enough but perhaps they need a bit more. I may go back to the tried and true lube pad and rolling cases on them. I genuinely hate prepping brass but maybe the old ways are best?

I will give the die a shot of lube as well after cleaning it out to be sure we are starting from a good state.

Advice, sticking cases in a coax not good, I have 3, last week was trying to size some brass, case mouths were hitting retainer(expander ball), upon inspection, the bridge or that black housing pc that holds the jaws was bowed upward, big shit show. Luckily I was able to grab one from another press to keep going, and ordered a new one.

That, my friend, is the sound of dry brass.

Id be curious to see the before and after sizing dimensions for the diameters. The only time Ive gotten that recently was when trying to use a base sizer that was entirely too small, no amount of lube would ease that.

Reactions: Milo 2.5

Also, good idea to take a measurement of that area, compare to reamer specs if you can. Sometimes when metals gall like that, in this case too tight of a fit, lube gets scraped off upon entry.

I don't know how many cases you apply a thumb size smear of Unique too. I use Imperial Sizing Wax but I dab two finger pads each time. I wear a blue nurses glove so it's not a giant fucking mess.

Typically with paste lube or wax you apply it directly to the case with you fingers. Rolling it around in a container isn't coating it well enough. Just dab some with your finger, then spin the case around and apply it.

So looks like those of you who guessed not enough lube (that's what she said right ;-) are indeed correct looks like I was just being too conservative with the amount I was using. I cleaned the die out with brake cleaner and fresh cloth patches just to be sure there wasn't something stuck in the die doing this.

Then I went back to the old method I was using where I covered a traditional lube pad with lyman case lube and then rolled the cases on the pad, as well as used a q-tip to put some lube on the outside of the case necks. Ran them through the die with zero issues, no marking and no weird noises. As with most things down to user error. Do appreciate the replies and advice gang.

I think the real problem is that press. It's horrible. As a favor to you, I'll buy it from you for 50 bucks. Ha

Reactions: Devlin