• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd question on depriming.

balkandom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
NW Arkansas
Hello all,

I have a some .308 brass that I would like to decap before I stick it into steel tumbling media. The problem is, I'm stuck in a hotel in WA for some time, and I can't set up a press. Does someone make some sort of tool that allows you to manually decap? This may seem like a waste of time, and it may very well be, but it would give me something to do instead of hanging out on here and on GB needlessly increasing the number of weapons I own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Re: Odd question on depriming.

Mike,

Lee makes a hand depriming tool for .308 and .223. Just have to have some sort of mallet to whack the rod. I just use the .223 for everything, and turn the holder upside down for everything. It might set you back $10 for the tool, I think I paid $5 for the last one I bought.

HTH,
DocB

I looked on the lee site, did not see it, any ideas where to go to find one?

I know Sinclair makes a pin punch deprimer, and Lee sells one as part of their 'Lee Loader' which is a hand reloading setup. You might check hardware stores for a small diameter pin punch and a hammer.

1911fan

Nich, that's one of the cooles things I have ever seen in my life....thank you!

Mike,

MidSouth Shooters Supply or Midway.

HTH,
DocB

I'm using the punch pin and base from the Lee handloader and have punched through two primers w/o getting them out. The PRVI .223 stuff takes some serious force to get the primer out.

That Neil Jones setup looks nice, one handed operation? I'm a bit curious as to whether or not it will be able to take out these stuck primers...

I've decapped about 7000 rounds of 5.56 with a Wilson punch and base set with no problems. Highly recommended.