• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd sight picture issue

redbullitt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Wv
Hello all,

So I just got a laserlyte and a couple targets. They are hoot, get some if you haven't tried them, especially with the crazy shortage stuff going on. I got Mrs Bullitt to get into it a little bit, so we started trying to have her shoot with both eyes open. Next question was pretty much "which set of sights or which target (we had 1 target) do I aim at..." I was not quite sure how to answer that lol.

She has been shooting pistol off and on for about a year and has become pretty good at it. Trouble is that she is left eyed and right handed, so naturally she closes her left eye and does quite well with long guns etc. Not super troubled with the support side eye dominance, but usually people don't encounter an issue here with handguns, especially shooting isosceles stance as far as I know? What more, it seems to be something different than typical dominant eye stuff.

Here is the odd part... when she uses both eyes and focuses on the front sight, she will consistently see 2 targets that are pretty much indistinguishable, so much so that she cant visually tell which is actually there. I see nothing like that going on no matter what I do. If she focuses on the target, she will see 2 pistols/sights.

This happens even if she switches hands, tilts the pistol, changes shooting stance, anything I can think of. In fact, take the gun out and she can replicate it with her thumb and her arm out stretched. I simply kinda see through my thumb by comparison.

Closing her left eye and shooting right side makes the issue go away completely and the same on the other side.

Any ideas would be helpful. Does everyone see 2 targets and just picks one except me lol?

The problem is related to the stereoscopic nature of vision which provides depth perception. It helps us judge distance. But you don't always require that both of your eyes simultaneously operate at a single focal length or depth of field. You have 2 eyes so your vision is bicameral. Seeing double comes from paying attention to the input to each eye separately. You can train your eyes to operate at different focal lengths and depths of field. You can also teach yourself to disregard for aiming purposes the focal length of the vision of the non-aiming eye. All that it requires is to simply tilt/turn your head slightly toward the non-dominant eye. This puts the dominant eye behind the handgun sights regardless of what hand you are shooting dominant.

Reactions: Kambaku