• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Odds of drawing mule deer tag in WY?

khall540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
Beaver Dam, WI
I am looking at booking a hunt with an outfitter in WY for Oct 2014 for mule deer hunt with a rifle. From my understanding, I have to apply for the tag between Jan. and March and then will find out if I drew a tag in July. I have never applied for any tag or preference points before as this is my first western hunt. What are the odds of drawing a mule deer tag my first time applying? I have read many articles about the draw and point system online but it all gets confusing and mostly refers to elk tags. Thanks for sharing any knowledge.

I was looking at the WY game and fish link the other night and was still a bit confused. Is "total quota" the number of tags they give for a specific unit and "First Choice Applicants" is the number of people that applied for a tag in the unit?

If I'm right i think you need about 2 preference points to be sure to get drawn for mule deer. I just booked an elk hunt for 2014 in wyoming and i had to buy a preference point this year. The deadline for buying a point was 30 sept. The outfitter said 1 point will get you a tag for elk. They also have a special draw which is a lot more expensive but if you don't have any accumulated points it helps you get drawn. They make this shit way more complicated than nescesary

The quota is how many tags are available for that unit and first choice applicants is how many applied for that unit. If the quota is 2000 and 1980 people apply for it as a first choice, 20 will go to the people that put in for 2nd choice. In good units that never happens.

Draw odds very for each unit, good units will need maximum points which is 6 or 7 if I remember for non residents and the odds are still tuff. Couple great units are 128 type 1, 102, and 90 but draw odds are like winning the lottery. You need to find out what unit the outfitter outfits in and look at those draw odds.

Hope that helps some

I'm pretty pissed at myself that I didnt start looking into this about a week ago so I couldve bought my preference point before the end od Sept. Looks like pretty much no chance of going Sept-Oct 2014 then ? I will have to start looking into another western big game hunt for 2014 since I most likely won't be able to bowhunt the property in WI I've been on for years.

A lot of outfitters guide in general areas where tags are easier to draw, plus 25% of tags go to anyone no matter how many points they have. Apply and cross your fingers, last year I had a buddy draw a sheep tag his first time applying. Most apply for 20 years before they draw for sheep. Someone's got to draw those tags, good luck.

Thanks for the advice. My only other option I guess would be to go to Idaho for muleys where their tags are readily available.