• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Ode to Bill Haast(snake dude)

The story of Bills war with the FDA is a really good story.
Bill Haast actually developed a cure for polio. An excellent study in the origins of big pharma.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Man, I remember him. When we had three channels it wasn't hard to know when he was going to be on TV.

I heard a cool story about Haast during the southeast asia "conflict". The army called a family and said your son was bitten by a krait.
The family had a brainstorm. They called Haast and told him what happened and can he fly to Vietnam and give their son a transfusion
(because his blood has the antibodies for every venomous snake in the world) ...Haast asked when was he bitten? They said 7 days ago....
Haast said he's dead by now.

I remember going to see him at his Serpentarium in FL when I was a kid. Amazing place and the dude had some serious stones dealing with (and getting bit) by all those snakes. IIRC a kid fell into the alligator pit and was killed at some point.

Read Cobra In His Garden when I was a kid but never made it to Miami Serpentarium. Furthest south I was able to get on family trips was Ross Allen's at Silver Springs.

I remember reading an interview with him and he mentioned the number of venoms he was injected with on a regular basis. I can't recall the number, but I remember thinking "WOW!"

I remember going to see him at his Serpentarium in FL when I was a kid. Amazing place and the dude had some serious stones dealing with (and getting bit) by all those snakes. IIRC a kid fell into the alligator pit and was killed at some point.

If we're talking the Miami Serpentarium, we used to take field trips there when I was in elementary school. The place had the giant cobra head rising above the roof line. I think they tore the place down around 1984 when Mr. Haast moved north.