• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odessa FV 200yd F-Class August 16th

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
Our next match will be this Sunday, the 16th. Registration begins at 10:00 AM.

Would someone please shoot a perfect score this time?
whistle.gif

Thanks!

Scott

Re: Odessa FV 200yd F-Class August 16th

JDA jr went back to West Virginia, so he won't be able to
if i can remember to turn my scope power up to 24 instead of having it on 12, i might shoot better
but i think the 200 score is up to you

I'll be there! New scope,One piece base, shorter bipod and new brass.Lightened up my trigger from varmint trigger to target trigger. The rest is up to me now!
smile.gif

I'll be there. As far as the perfect score, what if we doubled the size of the target, and made it one giant "V" ring? Or maybe bonus points. The firt one to shoot thier neighbor's target gets ten points.
grin.gif
Anyway, I'm going to try and run neck sized brass through AR this week. Hopefully it works/helps.

I'm no threat. I would gain from learning to slow down my shooting cadence, and taking advantage of the allotted time to take small time-outs. For me, there's a physical overhead that I haven't been dealing with successfully. For now, I'm simply shooting up the remainder of my loaded .223 Match ammo until the .222 ("Deucifer") comes to fruition. That will occupy at least this and the following match.

Meanwhile, I think component availability has improved to the point where I may begin SR load development for the .260/HDY 95gr V-Max, and .280/120gr NOS BT.

FV200, I'm hooked...!

Greg

I had a great time at the last one, and plan to make this one.

The great thing about starting out with a low score - lots of room for improvement! I'd love to witness a perfect score, but I think I am years and hundreds of rounds away from that. But it is something to work towards! Gotta have a goal, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our next match will be this Sunday, the 16th. Registration begins at 10:00 AM.
Would someone please shoot a perfect score this time?
whistle.gif

Scott

</div></div>
Scott; I'll catch up with you all on the Sept. 5th match. I'll be in Baltimore this weekend training in the arts of Iaido and Jodo. Iaido is the draw and cut with the Japanese sword, Jodo is a stick art that beats the snot out of a guy with a sword, breaks his wrist, arm, face, whatever and wherever he can place that stick. Very nasty for the swordsman, being a swordsman you want to know your enemy right? Any of you guys see the video clip of a Japanese sword being shot at by a .45 auto? Slices the bullet clean in half, they then fire a machine gun at the edge of the sword, it wasn't till round 7 or 8 that the edge chipped then the sword broke. Greatest edged weapon ever made.........

Don't know what I like more, the sword or my GAP Crusader.
Yes I do...........CRUSADER all the way!

Doing some limited ladder testing with the R77V .280, R/S Hunter, and 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, and the Ghost Dancer 10FP .260, R/S Big Game, and 95gr HDY V-max loads tomorrow morning if weather permits. Four loads for each, starting at published max and backing down in 1/2gr increments. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Greg

Well; the .280 likes 56.0gr of Hunter with the 120gr Nos BT, and the .260 Ghost Dancer likes 45.0gr of Big Game with the 95gr HDY V-Max. This is very quick and dirty, only five rounds per load, but these loads stand out and appear to be doing around 1/2MOA for starters at 100yd, with definitely much less vertical than the others. Will probably go with the Dancer for this W/E, and then do some fine tuning with the loads over the following coupla weeks.

I stopped the 280 increments at 56.0 and the pressure looks like a good place to stop. The .260 was stopped at the R/S published max of 46.0gr, but the pressure indicators show some significant leeway above that, might be worth exploring after this W/E. If the calcs are right, the 28" barrel is probably generating over 3400fps with the V-Max

Greg

PS The increments for my test loads were rather large, about 1/2gr, so anything that came up looking good is still a little dubious. I doubt the loads are good enough to threaten the perfect score and my current stocks of components aren't enough to repeat the loads for another match in case they work. Prudence suggests I hold off on making match quantities with the loads I have, and that I refine the loads a bit more. No sense in wasting components and bore life in an exquisite and irreplaceable custom barrel on loads that are less than optimal. I will resume my original course of using up my existing stock of .223 match loads; at this point I either make more, or I'm down to one match's worth.

Just got done doing a little testing myself. Tried out the new Nikon 6-24 and two completely different loads.1st load was my old standby woodchuckin, coyote smacker load. Which is 24 grains of Benchmark and the 60grn nosler ballistic tip. That was a measured .506 in group. The second load was 25.5 grns of Benchmark and the Hornady 52 grn match hpbt. That load was a measured .556 in group. Both were 5 shot groups from the bench at 100 yrds with the bi-pod and rear bag.

Still don't know which one I'm using this sunday,but I feel pretty good about the test. Hope to shoot again before sunday as I have a few loads for Howards gun to try also.

Well, work is forcing me to drive to Mass Sunday evening. So, I'll put in a bid for the first round of shooting. I hate to shoot and run, but I will have to this week. It's too bad, as I really enjoyed the post match practice last time!

I'll take a reservation on the last relay.

BTW, you might consider driving to Conn (New Haven?), then taking Amtrac You can sleep your way through a lot of the trip. Makes the return drive a bit less daunting, and you should be able to expense the tickets.

sled,

Don`t worry about shooting and scooting. We are pleased that you`d fit us in before making a trip like that.

You need anything from us to help, gear-wise???

Thanks,

Scott

Greg, That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure the small town I am headed for would have good taxi service, or even how close I could get to it on the train. It's a water plant startup, and sometimes the freedom to be able to get chow, run for parts, etc is invaluable.

Scott, I think I'm all set. Bipod, sandbag, mat, and more of my Georgia Arms ammo. I have really got to find a source for primers! And I'm guessing the pound of powder I have won't go too far either?

I even squeezed in some practice this week on the online training dot drill. 8 of 20 hits inside the dots. Much better than any prior attempt. I hope to translate that into a better score this weekend.

I might even have a spotter for this weekend! My wife is thinking of making the trip since I'll be gone all week.

Been watching the weather. Outstanding in all but one respect; the heat. Celia and I just finished discussing it, and she has convinced me that a match in 90 degree weather would be unwise for me in my current condition, so I'm going to stay home on this one. Not my preference, but the heat really knocks me on my butt these days. Scotty, I'm printing as I type and the goods will be in the usual place before Saturday night. My observation of the range as of Wednesday suggests that the grass is not all that bad.

Greg

Sled; have you considered a car rental at the other end of the train ride?

I don't know whether you are self employed or on expenses, but when I had my business, my accountant encouraged me to make use of public transport and to take advantage of rental vehicles. It was a lot better for the bottom line to get those expenses out of the pocket and onto the expense account. If you're contracting and on a per diem, it should be negotiated to cover these types of expenses on a standard basis. Using private transportation for business purposes is not a good business practice. As my accountant explained it, you have to spend money to make money.

Greg

Greg, you can shoot on an early relay and I will water you down to keep you cool!
grin.gif
Or you could shoot naked and get the other shooters intimidated!
laugh.gif

Ultimately, I'm looking for large and small rifle, and large and small pistol. Short term, I'm only really ready for loading large rifle to load some .308.

If anyone has an excess supply of primers they want to sell, let me know. I have no preference on brand, part numbers, etc, since I have no loads developed for anything. Or if you know of a source with primers and powder in stock. Seems like every time I hear of a place with stock, I call only to find out they sold out yesterday....

Greg, It's rare for me to have a site I can drive to. I work for a small company, so I get paid for my travel time and for miles. For the few times I have to do it, it works out fine. I could get a rental, but I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle for me. My company bills our client for my expenses and time. If I was having to use my car often, I'd probably get a rental. But this will only be the second time to this site this year, and the first time in 6 years, that I've been able to drive to a site. I do appreciate the insight.

Sled, my buddy the dealer has 1000 CCI LR, 1000 Fed.210, and 8000 FGMM mag. He is the cheapest guy in the state. Do you want me to get you any for sunday?

This is current as of 3pm today

One;

I'd much prefer the naked approach, it <span style="font-style: italic">would</span> be cooler. But after all my surgeries, I have a sort of 'Frankenstein' appearance (Last week, just for S&G's, I counted the scars. There are nine, and several of them have been opened multiple times.) and that would be, <span style="font-style: italic">frankly</span> (plz pardon the pun), unfair to the competition. But really, I just get blabbleblugger when the temp gets up above 85 or so.

Greg

Sniperone - if he has the CCI or Fed.210 left, I'll take either. I've read more good things about CCI, but my preference is very small here to say the least.

I'm still confused about magnum primers. I've read they are OK for 308 and I've read they are dangerous for 308. The FGMM mag are magnum primers, right? Part of me says that enough people use them in 308, it's probably OK. But since I'm just starting out, I should probably stick with things that are per the recipies I have documentation for. I can experiment later, once I have more experience with it.

Thanks for the help!

sled,

I`ll bring a selection of what I can spare at no charge to you.

My large pistol stash is at zero lately, and in the last 2 days, I`ve used up a few boxes each of 45ACP and 45Colt ammo with cast boolits in the S&W`s Model 25-2 and a Model 25 lately, so I know what it`s like to be in need.
wink.gif

See you on Sunday.

Scott

Scotty; I'll be doing a driveby later today to drop off printed stuff, and will stop in and visit if our schedules permit.

Greg

Seeing as how Hop Sing has the week off, I`ll be here mowing today in this <span style="color: #FF0000">HEAT </span>

I hope you have a riding mower! I finished mine about an hour ago, and even on the rider it was awfully hot!

Did mine Thursday. Celia has me confined to house arrest, had me set up the smaller A/C this morning. The thermo on the back deck, under a hazy partial overcast, is reading 96; the village's bank thermo says 86. The small A/C is keeping things at around 73 indoors, thanks to the winter plastic sheeting on the windows that I simply left in place. I'd say it's earning its keep.

The first gin and tonic of the day is looking about due for a refill. That will be my cue to suspend exterior communications until next day's proceedings.

For those of you who are braving the heat for tomorrow's match, we who are not about to die salute you...

Greg

Sled, Gotcha 1000 CCI LR.....under $25.00!!!
grin.gif

Greg, Heat? What heat? I'm told its just good training. I think summer has finally arrived. We should bring extra water on sunday.

HONEY!!!! Where is that ice tea???? Please!

What a deal! I may have to put together a more complete shopping list, if you are willing to share you source! Can't be that much further of a drive, especially if I know he's got what I'm looking for! Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a deal! I may have to put together a more complete shopping list, if you are willing to share you source! Can't be that much further of a drive, especially if I know he's got what I'm looking for! Thanks.</div></div>

I'm bringing a list of what he has in stock for primers...and prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm bringing a list of what he has in stock for primers...and prices. </div></div>

I won't be there tomorrow, but I would appreciate it if you drop me a line as to the price and availability of small rifle primers. Thanks in advance. Good luck tomorrow, guys.

Don

It's 11:15AM and the match is undoubtedly underway by now.

My deck thermo is in bright sinlight and currently reads 108.

Staying home was very likely a wise choice for me.

Best to all who compete.

Greg