• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odessa FV-200yd F-Class results 6/6/09

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
Today was a "Chamber of Commerce" day in the Glen...the weather was fantastic! I can hear the cars on the track for the 6 Hours at the Glen race as I post this. If they have half the fun <span style="font-style: italic">we </span> had today at the match, then they will be doing good.

There were eleven guns today with a 50/50 split of F-TR and F-Open class scores turned in for score. (We inserted a late arrival so that he could give it a go for hiis first time.)

In F-TR class-

USSR 189-13V
Kasumi 182-12V
Geoff 181-13V
Doug 175-8V
Jim 163-5V

In F-Open

JDASr 189-14V
STP 188-13V
Deadeye188-12V
Greg 181-9V
Tim 171-9V

The 11th shooter (Al), gave it try with his home-smithed Mauser 98 in .22-250 and I believe he was happy with his results.

The "loaner" Savage .223 Remington was used today by Geoff ("The Kid") and did extremely well for his first match. Well done Geoff!!

Just like an actual 1K match, things started out with calm conditions, but then things changed as the relays progressed. Mirage and the predicted westerly breezes arrived and made things interesting. The fact that we had no scores in the 190`s nor a PS posted is evidence of that. As we have mentioned, our matches mimmick the "real thing" in terms of the changing conditions as the match progresses. It would be safe to say... <span style="text-decoration: underline">I told you! </span>

I was penciled in to shoot the 1st relay, but ran into an equipment problem...I had made sure the Savage loaner rifle was packed in the car, and the Rem. 700V in .308 was packed too. Seems I forgot to pack mine!
blush.gif

Our friends from the Rochester area acquitted themselves well today. Thanks for making the trip to shoot with us. JDASr drives from Seneca Falls as well, and we really enjoy his attendance. You`ll note he kicked me under the bus again. Nice shooting John!

Thanks again to all...I really enjoyed today!

Regards,

Scott

Re: Odessa FV-200yd F-Class results 6/6/09

well if no one else wants to report in on a safe trip home, i will
safe and sound at 2:15 pm and ready for a nap

Rochester crew home safe & sound. thanks again STP for hosting a great match. Damn F-Class shooting is expensive... when I got home I had to pay.... and pay. Wife made me mow the lawn, give both dogs a bath. A load a laundry and make the friggen bed. I cooked dinner too,(well I ordered steak sub & pizza) 8:50pm and I finally am chilling out with a little Irish Whiskey.

I bet Greg beat me to his Gin & tonic by 5 hours. At least Doug gave me a nice Pale Ale when I dropped him off at home. That tied me over.

Highlight of the day? Watching the "Kid" shoot. I don't know if he ever shot 200yds prone before today. Scott hooked him up with a nice rifle and some custom loads.

Good to see everyone again, see you all next match. I'll post pictures on Monday morning. Clint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Highlight of the day? Watching the "Kid" shoot. I don't know if he ever shot 200yds prone before today. Scott hooked him up with a nice rifle and some custom loads.</div></div>

Scott "hooked" him in more way's than one. I see a new rifle in his future.
smile.gif

Don

Great to see you all again and shoot another match. Gotta work on my prone shooting skills!! Thanks again Scotty for supplying "The Kid" with such a great rifle and your special ammo. He was so pleased at how well he did, as were we all. Probably miss the July shoot with July 4th vacation etc..... See you next time. Thanks again, Jim

Well, I might have beaten Clint/Kasumi to the punch with my G&T, but not by as much as he suspects. I didn't get down and around to it until about 5pm-ish.

Lotsa catchup chores and scurrying around doing dirty and otherwise deeds (surprisingly similar to Kasumi's, except cats don't get baths at our house...) before I got to do my patented couch flop and suckdown on the first G&T (take one 20oz glass mug, three ice cubes, and the bottle of gin out from the freezer, put item two into item one, pour 1/2 inch of item three into item one and allow it to gently comingle with item two. Add one half lime, suitably wedged and squeezed into item one until thoroughly dessicated, then drop the bruised and weeping rind into item one. Combine with a liberal splash of Real Lime, and top off with Tonic. Ahhhhh's optional... Your life should be so good, Pilgrim). By about GT2 (well, I <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> watching the Rolex at the Glen on <span style="font-style: italic">Speed Channel</span>), the world had finally attained it's proper pastel hues and soft edges, and my Devil-may-care attitude had matured to its accustomed shade of mellow. Little brings itself to mind subsequent to that attainment.

But...

Before all that, I did have time to note (from my accustomed perch beneath aforesaid bus), that Scotty's alleged appearance was sufficiently brief that I nearly missed his debut entire.

But I digress...

He had given me some coaching (was it just the prior weekend, it seemed a lot longer ago..., time flying and all...) which had gone a great way toward restoring my prior overconfidence. He had also suggested my front support was deficient, and following his advice, I had removed the skinny, hard, and flat sandbag that had adorned my lowly Hoppe's front rest for the past decade, and cobbled together a homemade Rube-ish contraption of wood, soft foam, and vinyl tape which could be said to do the necessary task of limiting torque twist and rebound. Well, whatever it actually accomplished, I picked up about 20 points; so nowadays, when Scotty talks, I listen.

Last match, I had erected (actually that's a bit more descriptive a term than is truly warranted...) some wind streamers at 150yd and 200yd, but alas, nothing closer... The day gave the appearance of balm and blue, and breezes so gentle as to appear barely perceived.

Well;

Appearances, apparently, can be quite deceiving. With little or no outward clues, we were all plagued with mysterious "What the F***...!!!"-like moments immediately following otherwise unexplainable lateral dispersions. Witness the complete lack of scores above 189. <span style="font-style: italic">Something</span> was going on out there beyond our immediate perceptions that made Gremlins look like Cupids. Beats the bajeezeys outta me, folks.

Frustrations aside, it was as good a day at the range as any of my own personal past decade; made so by good company and great fun. Most importantly, it kept the promise of a good time with no pressures but those which we make for ourselves.

I shall do this again, no doubt...

Whatever...

Greg

PS, after reviewing my embafflement about my own fading visual acuity throughout the match, it dawns on me that what I was experiencing was a short range manifestation of mirage. I had simply never expected it at so short a distance. Apparently, changes in air temperature and density will affect the proper focus adjustment for my scope. I had expected my full-length mirage tube to handle mirage, and it does an excellent job of managing barrel heat mirage; but alas, it does nada for mirage beyond the muzzle, and this little quirk I had completely overlooked.

Well; better informed is better prepared for our next engagement...

Thanks to STP, Greg & the Odessa Club for another real good time. A beautiful day on the range, great lunch at our fav deli in Watkins Glen, and cold beers once home made for the "perfect Saturday". Kasumi - what's the matter with you ? I told my wife to mow the lawn & do the chores before I left that morning !

Thanks guys; see you next time.

Right you are, USSR. Rupert - start thinking about the "new build" for Geoff (aka: The Kid). Will it be .223, or maybe .308 ? Call GAP.

"Kasumi - what's the matter with you ? I told my wife to mow the lawn & do the chores before I left that morning"

Yea well.......I figure she let me buy the GAP, plus MK4 Optics. I owe her!
A view from the line;
June6020.jpg

And a pic of Father & Son, Geoff "the Kid" shooting, Jim spotting;
June6018.jpg

You bet Scott! Just to show people what the firing line looks like at Odessa. Those are 2' by 4' ceiling tiles set at 200 yards. Keeping 40 rounds within a 2 inch group is no slam dunk. Winds, fatigue, mirage among other things keep this a competitive shoot.

I'll be looking for advice my next trip out, Scott, Greg I'm open to suggestions on how to improve. I think the GAP with FGMM is capable of a 200 score. My scores hover around 182-187

Next time out, all I want is to be in the 190's

Oh yea, kicking back eating a doughnut thinking I had 30-40 minutes till my first relay, Kid comes running up, Clint you're shooting NOW, they're waiting on you! I'm waiting for Scott who left his rifle HOME!
SCOTT !!!!!!

I suspect that handloads are in your future.

As for forgetting my rifle, it was bound to happen sometime.
blush.gif

I think that at this level, you know your basics well enough that specific and individual coaching is the order of business. I can think of none better than my own coach, STP. In the meantime, practice as frequently as possible with the rimfire, and treat each and every round as the critical match winning or losing shot. If you flub a shot, think of it as, oh; that was the last match, this shot is a new match to win or lose.

FGMM and your rifle, a 200? I suppose it's possible. But stop thinking in terms of aggregate scores. Think in terms of 5's and V's, and not 200's. Once a shot is past it's history, and immutable, the shot after the one you're currently working in is still fictional; and the only one you can do a damned thing about is the one you're working on here and now, so take yoru time and do it right. Don't accept anything as good enough, it's either a V or it's not; this is a strictly binary outcome (There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand Binary, and...).

Greg

I like the Idea of F-Class matches... but I'd like to see something like F-Open Light... 12-lbs or less.

Or F-Open Tac. .... Like F-T/R but allow any cartridge shooting between 30 and .22

Actually, I like some wiggle room too; but really, it's just a few guys trying to make something simple that works. It was a very deliberate, and well thought over, decision to accept that the existing F Class rules are a lot better than anything we v=could work up to on our own, and that by sticking to something universal, and not our toy to bend, spindle, mutilate, etc., we could concentrate our limited resources on coming up with a suitable target and simply running the matches.

Furthermore, alternate targets, like PalmaV200, and AROSV200, have been worked up and exist as prototypes. But until we have the FV200 program a lot more solidly entrenched, I think we have zero motivation to go haring off on addition tangents.

I wouldn't personally mind seeing someone pick up such a ball, or balls, and take ownership of the concept(s); but even that decision is not mine alone to make.

I been involved in a lot of proof-of-concept shooting programs, and even authored and conducted a fair few, buy that's not my preferred cup of tea, and honestly; the FV200 program still has a long ways to go before it's something I'd want to promote more widely than just within our one club.

Crawl, then walk, then run, then skip, then improvise...

I'm into this FV200 concept for the long run.

Greg